Blog Article Continuation(s) WL Toys v262 Quadcopter - First look and review

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by webman, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Kid_Banyan

Kid_Banyan New Member

Is anyone flying with a gopro? Im just getting into quadcopters and am new to 6 axis controls so still not very comfortable flying around with a naked gopro. Has anyone customized an attachment for the gopro and housing? Right now I have just have the cam resting in a tight cutout hole in the foam which works for now.

Also someone above mentioned they were getting bearings that would be less than 7.99 plus shipping for 4. I tried looking but thats all I see in the US.

Absolutely loving this thing. I usually wouldnt even consider buying Chinese hobby toys/electronics but this was definitely money well spent, and a good start learning the controls. I'm assuming the 6axis RC controls on the v262 are universal lol.

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

The question is - why fly a GoPro on it?
    A Mobius is equal to most GoPro models and weighs much less. Even the newer #8 cam is a great flyer and takes fine pics and vids.
    http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/en/301-808-keycam-no-16-v3-b-lens-new-style-case.html

I have seen others do it - and it lifts it no problem when you (as everyone should) remove most or all of the foam.

You actually need 8 ball bearings - $11 total
    http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/en/169-v262-ball-bearing-upgrade-kit.html

If I were going to fly the GoPro, I'd make up a set of landing gear to raise the height quite a bit and then hang the GP underneath the quadcopter.

If you don't remove most of the foam, the motors and gears will burn out very quickly! You can cut it back to only what's needed to protect the main board- remove the decal also. Every gram helps!

Kid_Banyan likes this.
  3. Kid_Banyan

Kid_Banyan New Member

So I heard of motors blowing out which I think has just happened to me, but it also fried the motor cable. Is this common or is there a reason why that happened? Its only $2 and found some on ebay so not a big deal at all, just haven't come across that in the forums I read. So Ive ordered a couple extra motorcables and motors, new bearings, got rid of the canopy and the motor covers to reduce weight.

For anyone else flying with a gopro, I just learned they make a naked lens cover, so you can protect the lens while using it without the housing, which is perfect for mounting on a quad. The hero 3 is extremely light without the housing and the v262 has no problems flying it around (that was with the canopy on also).

http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-Protective-Lens-and-Covers/dp/B00F19Q3S8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404331763&sr=8-1&keywords=gopro+lens+cover

4. webman

The motors get very hot - so if the wires were touching them, that could be a problem. Also, if you used a lot of power (weight and flying technique), that could overheat the wires and actually make them melt - although I have never had that happen.

If you fly conservatively and get rid of as much weight as possible, you will likely get 12-20 flights before you have to replace one or more motors and gears. But, as you say, they are surely cheap enough. It turned out I lost my entire quad before I had to replace them more than once! Now I am don't fly my v262 as crazy high - especially when the wind is blowing!

It's really more of an experimental toy quad. If you are going to fly more cameras often, a GPS stabilized model (even the original Phantom 1 or the newer APM models) is much better...

5. techniken

techniken New Member

Basically shouldn't. The required operating voltages of the brushless power system requires a higher voltage than the 7.4v stock. The thrust that the brushless motors would produce also requires a stronger frame than the v262 offers. Also, the overall weight of the additions produces forces that compromise the structural integrity of the v262. You are probably better off building a brushless quad correctly and keep the v262 as a reminder of how much fun it was before you destroy it realizing it's a coin pit. I'm contemplating on the v959 pro in that it can use my accessories for the v262, the 959 goes the opposite evolution and uses what appears to be rhe more reliable coreless motors. From what I understand, the mabuchi motor in the v262 is purposely overloaded from an engineering view for inexpensive short term high performance. Good luck in your endeavors!

Last edited: Feb 18, 2015
  6. techniken

techniken New Member

Update examples :11.1 volts on both WL Toys V303 and V393, both are using all brushless motors. Coreless motors are NOT brushless. Coreless motors of the micro/nano variety use wipers that have the same function as in brushed motors, supplying electricity to the windings.

7. techniken

techniken New Member

Got the v959 Pro. After a bit of researching, I made the purchase and first flights are excellent. Nothing has malfunctioned or failed so far. I am expecting a long service life from the entire quad. The Pro is the latest offering in the v9x9 series and imho is, at the moment, unbeatable at it's price point. Maybe brushless later, right now the v959 Pro is doing everything I expect it to do, reliably.

8. Alva Maynor

Alva Maynor New Member

I Can't give you many ideas, but WLToys has model V393 with brushless motors and also model V303. They seem to be direct driven without gears and with more symmetrical propellers. They range in price of about $270.00 for basic to $402.75 for 720P camera in FPV and headless mode.

9. FozzieB

FozzieB New Member

I was given the 262 as a gift and could use some help calibrating it and understanding the controls. Is there a good guide to understanding the controls and how to calibrate it? Or is someone able to explain to me like i'm five how to set it up.

I've flown it twice and by flown I mean crashed a couple times attempting to learn the controls. I think the most important thing would be to calibrate it. Should it be able to hover off the ground easily?

Some help would be greatly appreciated, even if the help simply directs me to an easy to understand guide.

Thank you.

10. webman

They may have changed some of the settings, but the basics are in some of the diagrams at:
    https://www.droneflyers.com/2013/08/wl-toys-v262-quadcopter-first-look-and-review/

A properly functioning 262 does not need to be on a completely level surface when starting up (like many quads do) - so that's not a problem.

This is a big machine and if you are trying to learn with it you should be in a BIG open area like a football field or baseball diamond - and with relatively light winds.

Most of these toy machines will not hover easily without constant stick input from the operator. This is because they don't have GPS or barometric (altitude) sensors - so you have to actively fly the machine. If it tends to veer off heavily in one direction it is either:
    1. Trim on the transmitter (you can adjust this).
    2. Wind
    3. One or more of the motors and/or gears need replaced.

I find this machine much easier to fly without the heavy foam on it - so you may considering removing it or cutting it.
    Good Luck.