Blog Article Continuation(s) Why are there very few negative reviews on drones and quadcopters?

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by webman, Apr 3, 2013.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

2. IceFyre13th

IceFyre13th Guest

Yes, Magazine reviews are skewed, certain audio magazines review audio product.....(I have had direct experience with this)......but they charge the manufacture for the review (either cash or the product), allow the manufacture to approve the article (and resubmit product for retesting if it failed).......never will they publish a bad review. The other part, add in 3 months of full page advertizements on the product, not only will it be the "best product ever" but it will have a review that omits anything that may have been an issue and give you the "best product of the year" award in the later issues.

I am sure this happens in other types of product specific magazines too (as well as other media).

Amazon and Ebay are good sources of reviews from actual consumers as well, but there are also paid reviews (ever get the e-mail to become one???). The best way to get an honest opinion is to see someone who actually has the product your interested in and ask them how they like it.

3. webman

You are correct about Amazon...in particular! Look at their AR Drone reviews and you get a much more accurate take than all the tech sites and even Kerry's original reviews here. It shows the actual cross-section of people and their experiences.

I don't think we have too much of the "paid off" situation in the drone industry, but there are a lot of other factors which can throw the customer off. Tech sites and blogs tend to reprint PR releases - it's easier than writing or testing themselves.

Manufacturers and retailers often send free samples to folks for testing. That isn't quite as bad....but with some folks (my price is much higher than that!), getting free stuff - even a $100 quad - can throw off their review. I'm not saying that most are intentional, just that it ends up steering a customer wrong. Look at the fella here (the other Chris) who bought 3 quads and maybe not the right ones or in the right order. Of course, I did the same myself....

There is an opportunity for ya, Ice! $10 internet consulting to tell them which model to buy!

4. IceFyre13th

IceFyre13th Guest

But I am an engineer, I design / build my own..............but I do like my AR Drone 2.0, no way I could do that much for the price, and a top recommendation from me (as long as you use a third party flight app).

everyone that reads this now owes me $10.

5. webman

Speaking of skewed reviews, I am appalled by the lack of forthrightness coming from WL Toys regarding their new 212/222 models. These are the replacements for the highly regarded v949/959 series micro quads.

ALL the reviews I have seen have been glowing, but at the same time they say the quad drops out of the sky regularly! These so-called "drop-outs" have happened not just to a few folks, but it seems to many or most of the buyers. WL has even admitted they know about the problem - BUT, they won't say what it is/was.

Meantime, the great reviews continue.
    You likely won't find a review for those models here until WL confirms what the problem was and that it was fixed (and how so).

That's not asking for much. But I probably won't get it. Until then, I'd stay away from v212 and v222 unless you know what you are buying (a pioneer or guinea pig type).