Blog Article Continuation(s) Syma X1 - a great starting quadcopter

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by webman, Apr 2, 2013.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

This thread is a continuation of the blog article:
    https://www.droneflyers.com/2013/01/Syma-x1-a-great-starting-quadcopter-for-less-than-40/

As a first entry, here are instructions for binding the Syma X1 to a bigger and fancier radio, the Turnigy 9X v2

BUT, the 9X actually did bind using the written instructions and it works...now to reverse some channels so I can fly it.

So, in short, the following directions worked with my new 9X....

1. Select a new model on the TX - I selected a stock model and change to airplane type.
    a. Set AIL, THR and RUD to normal- reverse the ELE
    2. Follow the instructions - copied below - from Helipad over in RC Groups.

------
    Q: What is the Binding procedure for optional Turnigy 9x radio?
    A: Binding Instructions:
    Insert X1 Lipo (Status LED blinks rapidly)
    During this phase (rapid blinks), push/hold the Binding button on the FlySky module and then turn on the T9x. Then let go of the Binding button.
    In a few seconds, the Status LED will turn into a Slow Blink.
    Power cycle (Turn off and then on) the T9x and it should bind (Status LED goes solid)

NOTE: You should always tie or weigh down your quadcopter while binding to a new radio! A channel on the radio may be reversed and cause your quad to instantly go to full throttle - which could be dangerous!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2014
  2. webman

Basic Syma X1 disassembly:

1. The props come off with the small phillips screw inside - look down from the top and you will see them. Always make sure you keep track of the props - which goes where!

2. The cheapo outside cover comes off the crossarms just by spreading the little slits with your fingers - this is on the UFO model. There may be a piece of tape holding one or two. It probably flies better outside without the outside cover as there is less windage.

3. If you need to remove the plastic bubble which protects the electronics, there are two small phillips screws (evident). Note that there are also two extra holes 90 degrees from these which are not used - these can be reamed out and screws or small bolts put in to help support cams, etc......

4. Two small phillips with built in washers (washer heads) hold the circuit board in.

5. Two small phillips screws hold the battery holder in.

6. The small white plastic gear which fits on the motor shaft can be pried off - it is friction fit.

7. The entire end assembly comes off of the arms by pressing together the small nub which comes through the arm and then pushing and working the end (landing gear complete with motor) off. It is much more evident how this is done when looking at the WHITE ends, because the black all blends together!

remove.jpg
    8. The carbon fiber arms are simply press-fit into the main body cross, so again just working them and pulling should do the job - of course, the motor wires run through it, so unless you are replacing the motors and wires, be very careful!

3. Tignarius

Tignarius New Member

I am just ordering one now. It look so much more stable than the V9x9 series.

4. IceFyre13th

IceFyre13th Guest

5. webman

Wow, looks like an update with the prop guards, etc.

As far as stability, it's not one with the 6 axis or auto-lever (the X1, that is), which IMHO makes it better for learning. And, the fact that you can pretty much bounce it off the walls and ceiling or drop it into the snow, etc. makes it very inexpensive as a platform.

It's also good for hacking up once you are done learning with it - it can't carry much payload, but some folks have cut some of the weight out and put a stripped keychain cam on it. I've done it, but it gets unstable quickly. In most cases, these low-end machines are best for doing exactly what they were designed for - not a lot of slop in the design specs.

6. Tignarius

Tignarius New Member

SoCal Hobbies quoting $59.00 for pre-ordering.... I wonder whay we have not seen an X2 yet.

7. webman

Syma X1 is down to less than $33 for US Customers with free shipping (at least with prime)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0096SJU3U/ref=as_li_qf_sp_asin_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0096SJU3U&linkCode=as2&tag=droneflyers-20

I fixed up one of my old models recently - and I still love this quad. I'd suggest even more experienced pilots having one or two around just to fiddle with. Since they easily bind with 9X radios, you can use them for learning the various radio options, etc.

8. Yee Song

Yee Song New Member

i got my Syma x1 last year and the prop keeps coming off. i just realized that there was suppose to be screws for the props but mine didt come with it.any idea where i can buy some?

9. webman