Blog Article Continuation(s) Review-WL Toys V959 Quadcopter with Camera

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by webman, Mar 19, 2013.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

These toy quads have no warning system - BUT, they generally slow down before they die. So you usually have time to bring them down softly. What a lot of flyers do is figure out how long the batteries last and set an alarm on their smart phone.

I usually run my toy quads for about 7 minutes or so instead of draining them all the way (8-10 minutes). Another way to fly is to only fly the first 5-6 minutes at a distance and then fly closer to yourself and the ground for the last few minutes. This way you will notice when the batteries are getting lower.

2. Bernie

Bernie New Member

Hi, Yes I have purchased this model. Its great and I am still learning to fly it, especially in small wind conditions. I do not know what the difference is on this update version. I have so far done no damage to it but I hope like me, you have also ordered the necessary spare parts.

3. webman

The 959 is very nice - but from this point on when buying or replacing, folks should consider the v22.

What the v222 does not have is the ability to pair with a more professional TX like the 9X.

But what it does have is 6-axis stabilization. What this means to you may be a lot! Here is an example. If you fly the v959 and it starts getting too far away, you may cut the throttle and try to bring it down....but it will likely be hard to keep it level, and it can often go into a "death dive". This is because it is not self-leveling.

If you take a v262 and run it up to 60 feet high - cut the throttle 100%, let it fall 40 feet and then floor the throttle, it will recover and level itself.

The v959 is teaching you more. But the v222 has better brains.

4. Bernie

Bernie New Member

Flying in wind
    wltoys v222: I took my quad outside for the first time. there was a slight breeze and it took my quad a way off and I could not make it return. Should I have given it full throttle in an attempt to fly through the wind and get in back? Any tips please.

5. webman

The key here is to start by only flying the quad in a small area and not letting it get away from you. If it does, better to let it down to the ground than attempt to punch the throttle.

Also, it's not the throttle that should be increased as much as the pitch or the roll. Your TX has options to set at 40,60,80 and 100% on the left. When flying outside in any winds, you might want to increase it to 60%, allowing for steeper pitch and roll.

If you play with it while it is within 30 feet or so of you and less than 20 feet high, you will get the hang of it. You also have to keep a close eye on which way it is heading - this is difficult with quadcopters because they tend to look the same from all sides. But if you don't know which way it is heading, you may end up steering it the wrong way once it gets far away from you. That's why it's often best to let it come down to the ground when you lose control (as long as you are not over trees!).

6. Bernie

Bernie New Member

Thank you so much for your reply, its been a great help indeed. Can I ask a little more about this 40/60/80/100% Are they sensitivity settings or are they power settings. I thought they were sensitivity setting where the controls are not so harsh or active in the sense that it gives me a smoother and softer control over the flight. Thank you so much.

7. webman

You are correct - they are more like sensitivity. They do not change the throttle setting, but they greatly change the angle at which the quad can pitch and roll. But having a steeper angle, you can fight the wind better. At the lowest setting you cannot even make headway into a 8 mph wind.

8. QuadroPilot

QuadroPilot New Member

Great review and follow up Q&A thanks. Not too shabby for a sub $100 quadcopter. I'm in the process of trying to get the next generation in my family involved in drone piloting and I need to find an economical solution that won't break or start malfunctioning after a couple hours.

That is of course, a couple hours with my supervision ;)

9. webman

Hours? If you get something that they fly 3 times for 8 minutes each time without totally messing up, you are way ahead of the game!

I think the newer Hubsan Quads X4 at the low end or the Blade Nano at the higher end should fit the bill. Since most everything is 6-axis these days, no need for them to suffer through the Syma's and stuff like that - unless they are very coordinated and want to learn that way.

Even the X4 takes a lot of skill to pilot.

10. Chuck Jones

Chuck Jones New Member

Is there a better way to help keep the camera in place then taping it. The fitting to hold the camera on my new V959 is not very snug.
    I am new to quads just got the V959 Friday.
    Web Man you picture shows a boat is it yours? We have a Nonsuch 26 here in Trenton On. Canada

11. webman

I have a corsair tri! I used to have a precision 18. That pic is at my mooring area....took a bunch on a big rainbow day.

My cam never worked it's way out of place. But if it had, I would use hot glue - which can easily be removed with your finger, etc.
    If a rubber band fits anywhere, that is a good method also. I use almost exclusively rubber bands with my Mobius and v262.

12. Chuck Jones

Chuck Jones New Member

Thanks I never thought of hot glue. Best not fly to close to the sun eh!!!!

13. Chuck Jones

Chuck Jones New Member

Just found out that if you do not turn the video camera off using the controller before turning off the controller you get a blank recording.

14. webman

That's hard to imagine - although I don't have a 959 to test it with now. We had some instances where we thought the video was bad, but then it turned out now to be.

15. Chuck Jones

Chuck Jones New Member

Just tested it. First tested ran some video then turned off camera with controller, got a good video. Then did a second video and shut off the controller, camera was still running, disconnected battery on helicopter and checked Micro card and video showed no content.

16. Chance

Chance New Member

I'm new at this. The Quad is my first drone after a Heli. I CANNOT understand the Instruction Pamphlet. Can anyone point me to a good source to understand how to control this thing?

17. Bernie

Bernie New Member

Hi, I can talk you through it. Buttons: top left is for Video, bottom right for Camera, one click for on, another for off. Left bottoms for sensitivity, good to start with 40%. Joy-stick: left forward and back for speed, left/right for Yaw(turn left & right), Joy-stick right: forward for quad down, backward for up. Left and right to bank quad in that dirrection. Small sliders are for trimming if the quad tends to drift in any direction.

18. Chance

Chance New Member

Thanks Bermne! I got it up and hovering, (with frequent crashes).
    I must have gotten a bad print on Manual, it is barely readable. And, I have no aviation experience other than prior Heli.
    What is "CRAB" - one of the right side buttons?
    What is Speed Trim - the corresponding left side button? How is it different from Speed Control Stick?

19. Bernie

Bernie New Member

Yes, you will crash a little while you get used to the sensitivity of the controls. Its best just to hover only a few feet from the ground and to try some left and right movements and then landing it. Try very hard to keep in your mind one movement the most; to throttle off when ever it gets out of control, it sounds simple because when it gets out of control your instinct is to regain control but when learning its always best to throttle off and get in back on the ground and start again. Crab is the right side slider under the right joy stick. If the quad has a tendency to drift to the left or right when in neutral, you can compensate for this so that it stays put. Speed trim, you can use this trim to get the quad to hover at a certain height using Speed Trim. It's like the idle setting on a vehicle. (Tick over speed) I don't use this setting as I want to be able to zero the speed when ever I wish.
    My friend, if you want to email me, I can send you a good copy of the manual with some additions I have put on the last page as I realised the manual does not explain the Vedeo operation. berniemyk@yahoo.co.uk Good luck

20. drontastic

drontastic New Member

Love watching all these Drone taken videos!
    Getting goosebumps just by watching.. Rock on and fly safe, pilots! #Respect