Radios/ Receivers, What works, what doesn't

Discussion in 'New Products, News, Advancements, etc.' started by Hannibal1979, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Hannibal1979

Hannibal1979 New Member

So I see a lot of stuff about the drones, and that's expected on a site about drones. One thing I haven't found is anything about the other half of the equation, the Radios/ Receivers. Without the radios and receivers, these things never leave the ground. I just feel that as important as the drone is, a good discussion about TX/ RX should be at least mentioned. especially since there are so many with thousands of different set ups mixed with so many receivers. So here's my question. What radio do you use/ prefer? What receiver works best with it? What does and doesn't work. As fast as the tech changes for the drones, it also changes for the radio/ receiver combos. So discuss... Remember the more info you share, the easier it will be for the beginner to get into the hobby. Thanks.

2. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Much depends on your budget. This is the latest version of the venerable FS-i6 which has quite a rabid fan base and lots of custom firmware.
    FS-i6X link
    You want to get the combo with their latest, lightweight X6B RX.
    FS-X6B link
    Note it will also do SBus with the i6X TX. And you can have 20 unique model setups. just get more RXs. Depending on conditions you can expect a range of at least a mile. And it works well with standard NiMHs in the TX.

Here's were custom FW can be had,
    https://github.com/benb0jangles/FlySky-i6-Mod-

Note it is a smaller form factor. Banggood has all the manuals for download.

3. Steve Jones

Steve Jones New Member

Yes, i'd love to find stuff about the return video/data stream. my UpAirOne has 3 lines to the 5.8gHz transmitter, and only 1 is a video stream, since its sending a 4K camera image and impressing the computed return direction, distance flown and current altitude in between video fields, its gotta be a serial codec stream, but is it standardized?

On the other hand, my drone/receiver have a single channel change button but no documentation on how many actual channels there are, nor if there is any band changing. some of the good aftermarket 5.8gHz video transmitters have dip switches or an extended button press to change parameters like power, Band and channel. will those work together? i.e. will some, none or all bands align??

Finally the connectors on Drones are tiny, but I can''s seem to find anyone that sells them for hobby use. Then There's the automotive engineer training... connectors need lockign devices, and these drone connectors don't so guess what that means to reliability? - Yep, the fuse on the dynamite is burning and someday your drone may fall out of the sky due to a connector that has worked out of its mate..