New drone owner

Discussion in 'Drone Dreaming' started by Zer0t, Dec 23, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Zer0t

Zer0t New Member

I’d like to be a new drone flier. Ive been drone dreaming for years and Santa came early and I received a very generous gift in a Mavic 2 Pro. I’m very excited and will read the manuals from cover-to-cover. I really want to make sure I comply with all regulations, requirements and don’t become a nuisance. I registered my drone as a hobbyist with the FAA, I believe that’s required, and put the registration number on the drone as specified.

I have many concerns about where I can fly (non-restricted areas) and local airports. I live with several miles of two low use small plane airports, one may be helicopters only. According to the FAA I need to notify them when I fly my drone. Do I understand this correctly? One of the airports doesn’t see to have any contact information. Who would be the appropriate person to contact (role)? I’m assuming I need to notify every time I fly? How do I find out about restricted areas? Other than careful practice, being considerate of others, what are the things that I need to do to be a responsible drone owner and operator? I really what to enjoy flying the drone and record video of my surroundings in a safe and responsible manner. I live on Amelia Island FL if anyone is familiar with that area.

Thanks I know I’m asking a lot and I hope when I become experienced that I’ll be able to help newbs like myself.