Blog Article Continuation(s) How Durable is a Quadcopter

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by webman, Mar 29, 2013.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

https://www.droneflyers.com/2012/06/how-durable-is-a-quadcopter/

This thread is a continuation of the above blog post.

Let's hear your stories and see the pics!

Here is one from yesterday. I took my 959 (mini quad with video) up to a small parking lot at the top of the local mountain, thinking I might get some good pics of the views! I flew it nicely for a few minutes, but the wind started picking up - and I was in a relatively confined area with big trees and steep slopes all around.

So, I was trying to keep it under control while it soared to 100+ feet above my head. It was over tree-top level at that point, so the possibility of loss was great. But I managed to bring it back into the clear area and started lowering it to land. But, in my haste to get lower, I took off most of the throttle and it started dropping like a rock! It fell in the worst way - that is, totally sideways to the ground, and smacked the blacktop at about the highest speed you could imagine! Total destruction, right? Well, maybe not! One boom (crossarm) busted, the cowl flew off......but, amazingly enough, I don't think anything else is hurt! I plugged the battery back in and all four props still spin up - I checked out the video camera and it still works!

My guess is that I will replace the boom ($1 to $2) and be back in business, but I will report in this thread when I do.....

Here are the pics - note the little hole in the cowl also.....I'll probably just leave that as-is.
    crash1.jpg crash2.jpg