Holy Stone HS110W - Motor won't spin after crash?

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Devil Incognate, May 10, 2017.

1. Devil Incognate

Devil Incognate New Member

Hey guys, I get that this is an incredibly noobie question, but I'm hoping someone can help me anyway. I just received and flew my first quad, a Holy Stone HS110W. It's a pretty basic drone, but I think it would've been a decent one... had I not failed to attach the rotor guards and crashed it into my dog and a tree basically immediately. To be fair, the dog did his best to make this happen.

My issue is this: three of the rotors spin up correctly, but one of them only spins a few degrees and then stops. When I try to spin it by hand, it will spin 360 degrees, but it "catches" repeatedly along the way, where it gets stuck, and then if I push harder it will continue to spin. Apparently the motor isn't strong enough to spin it past these catches.

I took the housing apart to try to get a better look at the motor, but I can't really make heads or tails of it. One thing I noticed is that both the large gear and the small gear will spin freely when they're independent from each other, but when you line the teeth up and try to spin them, it catches. I've made sure there isn't any debris stuck in the teeth. The other motors spin freely. See the picture below for a look at the gears.

[​IMG]

I suspect that, for someone with a basic understanding of motors, this behavior (gears spinning freely when separate but sticking when together) might be a giveaway as to what the problem might be. For me, however, it's a mystery.

I'm hoping someone might be able to give me some suggestions to get things spinning again, or let me know if I've borked the motor and need a new one. Thanks in advance for any help.

2. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

That part and your quad look like a Syma X5C.

3. Devil Incognate

Devil Incognate New Member

You're right, and someone else pointed that out on another forum I posted on as well. I think I could get away with using an X5C motor.

I think the motor shaft is probably bent, and I should get a new one. X5C motors are like $4 online, so it's worth a shot to see if it'll work as a replacement. Thanks for the tip.