Blog Article Continuation(s) DJI Introduces Spark - their newest Product!

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by webman, May 25, 2017.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

This will serve as a continuing conversation about the DJI Spark - since all the information will be hard to keep placing in the blog articles and videos!

The main (first) blog article and links to our DJI Spark First Look and Review are at:
    https://www.droneflyers.com/dji-spark-nyc-introduction-first-look-hardware-etc/
    There are links there to our youtube channel as well as embedded videos.

Let me start with a Mobile Device Compatibility listing -

Apple Devices

►► iPhone 5s--(4 inches ― A7 chip)
    ►► iPhone 6--(4.7 inches ― A8 chip)
    ►► iPhone 6 Plus--(5.5 inches ― A8 chip)
    ►► iPhone 6s--(4.7 inches ― A9 chip)
    ►► iPhone 6s Plus--(5.5 inches ― A9 chip)
    ►► iPhone SE--(4 inches ― A9 chip)
    ►► iPhone 7--(4.7 inches ― A10 chip)
    ►► iPhone 7 Plus--(5.5 inches ― A10 chip)
    ►► iPad Air --(9.7 inches ― A7 chip)
    ►► iPad Air 2--(10 inches ― A8X chip)
    ►► iPad Mini 2--(7.9 inches ― A7 chip)
    ►► iPad Mini 3--(7.9 inches ― A7 chip)
    ►► iPad Mini 4--(7.9 inches ― A8 chip)
    ►► iPad Pro--(9.7 inches ― A9X chip)
    ► iPad Pro--(12.9 inches ― A9X chip)

Android Devices

►► Acer Iconia One 10--(10.1 inches ― 1.3 GHz ― 1 GB RAM)
    ►► Acer Iconia Tab 8--(8 inches ― 1.33 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► Acer Iconia Tab 10--(10.1 inches ― 1.3 GHz ― 1 GB RAM)
    ►► Google Nexus 5--(5 inches ― 2.3 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► Google Nexus 7 [2013]--(7 inches ― 1.5 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► Google Nexus 9--(8.9 inches ― 2.3 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► HTC One--(4.7 inches ― 1.7 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► Huawei Ascend Mate 7--(6.8 inches ― 1.3 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► Huawei P8 Max--(6.8 inches ― 2.2 GHz ― 3 GB RAM)
    ►► Lenovo A3500--(7 inches ― 1.3 GHz ― 1 GB RAM)
    ►► Lenovo Tab S8-50--(8 inches ― 1.86 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► Nubia Z7 Mini--(5 inches ― 2.0 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► Nvidia Shield K1--(8 inches ― 2.2 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► RCA Voyager II--(7.1 inches ― 1.4 GHz ― 1 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Note 3--(5.7 inches ― 2.3 GHz ― 3 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Note 4--(5.7 inches ― 2.7 GHz ― 3 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Note 5--(5.7 inches ― 2.1 GHz ― 4 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy S4--(5 inches ― 1.9 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy S5--(5.1 inches ― 2.5 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy S6--(5.1 inches ― 2.1 GHz ― 3 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge--(5.1 inches ― 2.1 GHz ― 3 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Tab 2--(7 inches ― 1.0 GHz ― 1 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Tab 2--(10.1 inches ― 1.0 GHz ― 1 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite--(7 inches ― 1.2 GHz ― 1 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Tab 4--(7 inches ― 1.2 GHz ― 1.5 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Tab 705c--(8.4 inches ― 1.9 GHz ― 3 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Tab A--(8 inches ― 1.2 GHz ― 1.5 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Tab A--(9.7 inches ― 1.2 GHz ― 1.5 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Tab E--(9.6 inches ― 1.3 GHz ― 1.5 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro--(8.4 inches ― 2.3 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro--(10.1 inches ― 1.9 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro--(12.2 inches ― 1.9 GHz ― 3 GB RAM)
    ►► Samsung Galaxy Tab S2--(8 inches ― 1.3 GHz ― 3 GB RAM)
    ►► Smartisan T1--(4.95 inches ― 2.5 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► Sony Xperia Z2--(5.2 inches ― 2.3 GHz ― 3 GB RAM)
    ►► Sony Xperia Z3--(5.2 inches ― 2.5 GHz ― 3 GB RAM)
    ►► Xiaomi Mi 3--(5 inches ― 2.3 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)
    ►► Xiaomi Mi Pad--(7.9 inches ― 2.2 GHz ― 2 GB RAM)

2. webman

Note - although the Spark uses DJI Go 4 App, there is no Map visible on the screen when using it with a mobile device. This is probably due to the fact that it is meant for close-in work.
    Mapping does show up if you buy the Remote Controller, which provides longer range.
    Link to Spark Purchase Page - https://goo.gl/NkLOsU
    We suggest buying the entire $699 Combo for most serious drone users. The Remote provide vastly longer range and it comes with many other extra accessories.
    Here is a pic of the Spark we are testing.
    DSC00873 (1).jpg

3. webman

Note - we created a couple indoor videos yesterday:
    1. Showing why you should use prop guards (the propellers can wound you!)
    2. Showing how to use Palmlaunch and Palm control - no need for R/C or even Mobile device - just the drone!
    3. Showing a longer indoor flight using an ipad mini 2 - this also shows the control interface (virtual sticks and much more).
    You can find the videos at our youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/craigimass

4. webman

Using the Spark with no Mobile Device OR R/C

NOTE: This must be allowed first by a on/off software setting in the DJI Go App. After you have turned it on once you will no longer need the mobile device for future "no controller" Palm Control flights.

PalmLaunch: Power on Spark and place it on your palm with the camera facing you. Make sure your fingers are lower than Spark’s arms. Press the power button twice when the flight indicators start to flash green. The indicators will change to a slowly flashing yellow, and FaceAware will begin to recognize your face. The front indicators will turn to green if detection is successful, and PalmLaunch will be activated. If not, the indicators will flash red.
    (Above is Mad Anglers Description)

My own instructions: Palmlaunch allows you to launch and land the Spark from your hand and control it close by with hand gesture controls. No Remote or Mobile Device is needed, however you must first turn on the Palm Control and other related options in the Obstacle Avoidance Screen in the Go App. Once this is done, you can turn the Spark off and put away your Mobile Device.

Now - with a fully charged battery - hold the Spark in your palm or fingers (below the props, of course - prop guard suggested) with the drone camera facing you at head level. Turn the Spark on in the usual fashion and wait 15-20 seconds for it to fully boot. Then, while the Spark is still facing you, press the power button twice. The Camera will scan for your Face and if it finds it and determines all is well, the motors will start and the drone will take off. Hand gestures - facing the frone of the Spark, will control it to some degree as long as it is close by. To land, place you Palm underneath the Spark,

If the leds turn yellow it didn't scan your face correctly , repeat and try again. If red there's other issues like not enough light.
    Here is the Youtube Video showing it working for me indoors at night - with lights on in the kitchen.
    Screen Shot 2017-05-26 at 9.32.36 PM.png

5. webman

The Spark uses some type of IR (Infrared) detection for the forward sensing and avoidance - this is one reason it is limited (16 feet?) compared to other DJI OA (obstacle avoidance) setups. BUT, the downward facing system can sense up to 98 feet! This is due to the use of a new system called TOF (Time of Flight) which - up until now - would cost 100's or 1,000's of dollars JUST for that part of the system!
    All of these technologies are being carried over from smartphones and game machines. However, the engineers at DJI seem especially good at making low cost components do a similar job as expensive ones!

6. webman

Attached Files:

7. webman

8. webman

True Flight Times - outdoors - taking battery to 15% - about 13 minutes. Taking to 1%, about 15 minutes.
    IMG_7854.PNG

9. webman

Note: The camera on the Spark is "fixed focus" meaning it does not need to be "tapped to focus" or to adjust itself. This is similar to most DJI models up to and including the basic Phantom 4. The Mavic Pro and Phantom 4 Pro and Advanced have "real" focus built in.

Fixed focus is much easier for non-Photographers to deal with - but more "prosumer" types are going to want a camera with lots of manual or user-selected options (Mavic Pro, etc.).

We checked the bitrate (speed at which the camera writes video to the memory card) - and it was 42.2Mbps (millions of bits per second). This is plenty for the 1080/30 video that the camera produces. Stills are 12 MP, more than good enough for most basic uses. Tonight we will be putting an entire sample roll of video and still pics online.....keep an eye on this thread for more.

Some downsized (50%) stills are attached to this post. Click twice to enlarge.
    DJI_0090sm.jpg DJI_0089sm.jpg DJI_0100sm.jpg

10. webman

Our Sample Video Roll from the Spark:

11. webman

If you select the regular model and go through the process, you can upgrade on one of the next pages to the full package. That is the way the systems works. So "Buy" the regular unit and then follow through the "Next" screen!
    Link:
    https://goo.gl/k3JL6k

12. webman

Obstacle Avoidance Tests Video - posted here:

13. webman

Note - the Spark Camera is limited and is designed for "use and share" - not for pros!
    It has one setting - HD video. No other "art" modes. Pictures are JPG only.
    1080/30 is the video size - bitrate is 24Mbps (fine for youtube, vimeo, etc. but not for the Silver Screen!).

Remember, this is a CONSUMER drone meant to appeal to new customers - if you are flying a Mavic Pro or a Phantom you have a better camera!

14. webman

Make certain you use one of the exact MicroSD cards DJI specifies. Others may not work correctly (from my experience).
    Note - also use only stock or optional DJI chargers for the batteries. You may get lucky and find another cable and charger to work- but in general, only the DJI models work correctly...probably due to their output option of 12v (reg. USB is 5v).

The best bet, as I have mentioned before, is the Fly More Package - that comes with a 3 battery charger that does the job very quickly.
    DJI Link: http://click.dji.com/AHqJ0jSKsBMkGiRdmSQN?pm=link&as=0006 (note - you have to select the $499 unit and then hit NEXT to get to the pages where you make it a package).

Amazon Example Link (White) - http://amzn.to/2rNqQSw (this is the entire Fly More Package)...

Attached Files:

15. webman

Quickshots - these are the automated moves that DJI built in (intelligent flight modes).
    BE CAREFUL.
    The Rocket mode goes straight up, so does not present any problem unless you are under a tree.

The Circle mode does a circle the same size as where you position when you choose the subject (usually you), so it tends to be perhaps 20-30 feet away and at the same height (or whatever height you start it at).

The Selfie Mode sends the Spark backways while it is slowly rising. I haven't taken the selfie mode out to it's full length (I hit the stop button) but it can go quite far. My guess is 200+ feet. So please be sure there are no trees or buildings, etc. for a distance from you!

The Helix mode - I would warn against currently using this as the radius is not (yet) adjustable and it flies as far as 200 feet away from you! This means you need a 400 foot circle which is quite a bit larger than a football field. My sense is that DJI will change this as it seems too far (too big of an area needed) for such a compact drone.

Enjoy your Spark!

16. webman

Some still photos from the Spark (downsized for easy upload, etc.). Click on them once or twice to enlarge

DJI_0182 (1).jpg DJI_0194 (1).jpg

17. webman

The early order are starting to ship. Some people are asking how to bind the R/C to the Spark. Here are the basics:

First link the Spark and RC...(instruction included)
    then....
    Power on the Spark.
    Once booted, hold down the power button until you hear a single beep.
    Then hold down the pause, FN and right trigger button until the RC goes into link mode.
    After a few seconds the craft and RC should bind.

Now try to connect to the RC, use the password on the serial number sticker ON THE REAR OF THE R/C
    this password has been reported to be 12341234, but it could change so check yours!

18. webman

Note - when it comes time to update the firmware in Spark (and most other DJI craft), I find it easier to use the DJI Assistant - a program which installs on mac or windows computers. I just used it to update a few of my machines including the Spark. It offers a direct USB connection to the craft, which I like...
    Screen Shot 2017-06-16 at 8.56.45 PM.png

19. webman

20. webman

I started flying the Spark with the Remote control - it will work either with or without a device (that is, you can fly just using the R/C).

The Sport mode is really fast and fun and, of course, the entire craft acts differently when you have a real R/C control...I will do an in-depth update when I have more experience, but I think the idea of the Spark is that it can function somewhat of a "one size fits all" unit for those who want to speed around in loops in the local field...and/or then take some pics of real estate. The mobile control is very decent (no R/C) for those somewhat familiar with piloting.

If this is the first drone you want to own/fly/buy I would probably suggest using the R/C until you get the hang of it. Virtual sticks are always different and without a background of real sticks you might make mistakes.

RC.jpg