X8C - bad motor out of the box.

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Apollo, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Apollo

Apollo New Member

Since I'm not nearly experienced enough with these to push the button on a Phantom 3 purchase, I went with the cheap copy I've been seeing a lot of around Youtube. However, I was again frustrated by failure. [​IMG]
    *shrug*
    Is it really this common to get failed motors, failed circuitry, out of the box? I'm 3 for 3 now. I would like to get a few seconds with a working, flying drone. Even got a Mobius widelens camera for when I'm at least adequately skilled in their use. But this is turning into an expensive venture just from the toy class models. So how many did it take for you guys to find the one that worked for you, and will it be this same constant battle to keep one in flying condition? I feel like I bought the videogame but have to pay for the patch to make it playable.

2. Steve95

Steve95 New Member

I got a x5c-1 for Christmas. After a week of flying a motor quit. I wasn't happy with how it handled the wind. I sent it back.

I have now have had a x5sc for 3 weeks. It is a better flier than the 5c-1, but I have replaced two motors so far. I do fly the drone every day, weather permitting. It appears to me on the cheaper drones part replacement is not uncommon. I have been waiting to see how well the x8c holds up & if part replacement is less.

3. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

The toy models are largely disposable - if you get 10 flights without replacing a motor or something else you are doing well.

You have to step up to brushless motors to have a quad that lasts longer. These start at about $150 - most will be harder to handle than the toys.
    Here's one for $110

4. ShelW

ShelW New Member

I'll tell you one positive story....

I called Traxxas, to ask a question about my new Traxxas Alias quad. He answered my question, and we then chatted a little while about Traxxas new quad (Aton), and other things. I mentioned that while I really like the Alias, the one issue I've read about a lot, that it seems to have, is motors burning out quickly.

We finished talking, and he then asked me for my last name and address. After giving it to him, he told me that he's going to send me a set of replacement motors, so I have them when/if my motors go out!

Now that's customer service!

(I was also able to get through to a technical support person within a minute!)

Before you get a Phantom, check out the new Traxxas Aton! This thing is really sweet, 50+ miles per hour, GPS....and loads of other great features!

5. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

No it's not common. Who did you buy from?

6. Apollo

Apollo New Member

The first 2 were from Ebay - big mistake - and this most recent was from Amazon, all US sellers because I refuse to wait 2 weeks to a month for any purchase so won't buy HK.

7. ShelW

ShelW New Member

I've purchased two X8C's from Frys Electronics, and they've both flown great, and I've had no issues with the motors. If there's a Frys where you live, and you can still return the one you purchased, maybe give them a try.

Don't give up on the X8C! It's really a GREAT quad, and a blast to fly!

8. Apollo

Apollo New Member

No Fry's in Missouri sadly. Not much of anything come to think of it, which is why I want some beautiful footage to sell this hill I live on. Anyway....took another look at my X8C today, pulled it apart, put it together again, got the upgraded motors, and it flies! Gotta use the box it arrived in as a launch pad - no level surfaces around without a ton of grass. So the next day I have without wind I'll take it for a real test run. Definitely not today. Passing cold front has winds really kicking up. So, working quad, plenty of parts to spare, just need a warm sunny afternoon.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  9. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Hope those weren't the Amazon ones.

10. ShelW

ShelW New Member

Apollo
    Take a video of you flying your X8C! I'd love to see it!

Shel

11. Apollo

Apollo New Member

So, SSDD. I take the drone out and the back side is slow - back being reverse of the camera aim. It still lifts off but it is in perpetual reverse and holding forward on the direction stick only slows it down. I've swapped motors out - all 4 - and had the same result. So it must be a problem with the gears or the wiring, perhaps the rear rotors aren't getting as much power. Should I just return it at this point or what?

12. jrsherm11

jrsherm11 New Member

I have had problems with every toy quad I have purchased with the exception of the jjrc h8c. It is not as big as the x8, but flies outstanding. You will have to replace motors....that is just the nature of the toy quads. They have cheap brushed motors that can't take the stress and runtimes we put them through. Give the h8c a try, way cheaper and has a way better camera.

13. kaybee

kaybee New Member

Hi

I am a newbie and had a motor fail after 3 days. Since they require changing so often have 2 suggestions for replacement.

1. If soldering wires in the arm make staggared joints then no chance of a short.

2. still stagger but use crimp connectors ( round or blade ) then no soldering required and change in seconds ( as an example see http://tinyurl.com/jxkg6lh