X8W or X8G for Eventual Phantom Pilot

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by chrison600, Aug 18, 2016.

1. chrison600

chrison600 New Member

Hi all,

I'm debating between a Syma X8W or X8G as an inexpensive way to get into drones with an eye on being ready to pilot a Phantom on a cruise in November.

I'm drawn to the X8 chassis because it has a good reputation and is about the size of a Phantom. As far as I can see the only substantial difference between the W and G is the W has FPV, where the G has a gimbal mount but no FPV. More than likely my Phantom will have FPV.

Should I get the W so I have the FPV practice, even though it does not have a gimbal mount? Or get the G to have the gimbal mount footage and just expect to feel quickly adept at using FPV?

Thanks!

Chris

2. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

I see way too many problems on forums with the current Syma X8s. Also note it's rather heavy and clumsy and even minor crashes, which you will have, seem to cause damage and the need for replacement motors and/or main PCB boards.

You will first need to actually buy a gimbal, figure out how to power it, and then a light weight camera so as not to overly stress and quickly burn out the cheap brushed motors.