Which GoPro Type Drone?

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Consultant, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Consultant

Consultant New Member

I'm a beginner wanting to do aerial photography but to start I don't want to risk a lot of money. I've done exhaustive research and frankly my head is spinning and I'm a technical professional.

Looking for something at is under $500 without a big need up-front to purchase accessories. (For example, Yuneec appears to give you a lot more in their packages than DJI - yes, I know I'm talking about brands outside my 'experimental' phase budget.

Ideally, something that I could later modify to still suit more professional needs would be best. What that means to me really is the ability to add a better camera and a 3-axis gimbal (if it doesn't already have it) fairly easily.

But here's my question, aren't only a very few of the "GoPro" style copters capable of giving you the ability to swap out to different cameras (like a FireFly 6s) and still have the ability to start/stop video and take still photos using the remote control? I know some action cams have wi-fi control, but that has a very limited range (I only need about 300m range). Seems like 90% of these "GoPro compatible" style copters if you change to a different camera other than the one that came stock (like the Syma cam), you are left with having to have the video run from takeoff, or for stills put it in a constant auto mode to take still photos every 30 seconds. Doesn't that mean you would need to run two flights, one for video, and one for stills?