V202 Hacks, Hop-ups, and Repairs

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by RanTalbott, Jun 10, 2013.

1. RanTalbott

RanTalbott New Member

Several people have mentioned having V202s. Here are a few of the handy (and sometimes obscure) things I've learned in the month or so I've had mine.

#1: massiverc.com. If you live in the U.S., that's the place to buy from. The owner does the QC that WLToys should have, so you won't wind up with a lemon like I did (bad sensor or sensor connection on the Rx board) when I bought elsewhere.

The owner also stocks parts at reasonable prices, provides help on rcgroups.com, and does research into improving micro quads by mixing parts from different makers. He's developed a couple of "Frankenquad" kits that use the V202 board to control an airframe with what users say are better motors (I haven't tried one yet, because the V202 is already zippier than what I want at this early stage). See this thread for details: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1813540 (Note: he's already created version 2 of the kit based on experiences with the first one, so skip toward the end of the very long thread to get the latest news)

He sells props from the MiniPet quad which are supposed to be a significant improvement over the originals. But I haven't really found out yet, because I blew off the warning about the importance of prop guards ("I'll just do a quick test before I go through the hassle of making them...") and killed a motor almost immediately :oops:
    (Thread on making prop guards: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1821591 )

There's some confusion about exactly how long the prop guards should be. My replacement motor is supposed to be in my mailbox at home. I'll do a little experimenting, and report the results here when I figure it out.

If you want to do your own Frankenquad, you can get those tiny motor connectors either from massiverc's LED kits, or from a set of extender cables Hobbyking sells: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__30665__Mini_Plug_Extention_for_Micro_Battery_10cm_5pcs_bag_US_Warehouse_.html

But be very careful about polarity: there's no standard for which pin is positive, so you can't rely on the wire colors.

There's also some useful V202 info in the "Common Boards/Receivers?" thread in this forum.

webman likes this.
  2. WaikikiBob

WaikikiBob New Member

"If you want to do your own Frankenquad, you can get those tiny motor connectors either from massiverc's LED kits, or from a set of extender cables Hobbyking sells"

I was wondering what the connectors are for exactly. Is it that the original motor wires are short to fit on the frankenquad?

I wonder if those would work on my V959 to extend the orientation LEDS to somewhere else I am think of putting them. In other words does the polarity match and second is it the same mini connectors as those leds? (it appears to be)

3. RanTalbott

RanTalbott New Member

A popular form of Frankenquad at the moment is to put the V202 board on another frame (the kit massiverc is selling now uses UDI booms and motors). Since different quads connect the motors to the PC board in different ways, you might need to adapt the motor wiring to the V202 board.

Sure. If you're talking about the Hobbyking extensions, it doesn't matter whether the colors are "backwards", because they're a straight-through connection, pin-for-pin. It may look a little odd to have the colors swapped, but electrons don't see color ;)
    You only need to worry about polarity if you're using a single-ended cable to adapt the wiring of a motor, LED, or battery. If you're an excessively finicky type, it is possible to remove the pins from the plastic housing and swap them. But, even though I've often done that with larger connectors, these are so tiny that I'd rather put up with color mismatch that try to dis- and re-assemble them. I guess I'm only "moderately" finicky :)

Ran

4. WaikikiBob

WaikikiBob New Member

Thanks for the reply and info.
    I was thinking of using the extensions to move the orientation LEDS out to the motor housing to light up the props. With the boom LEDS I am using straws, heat-shrink and a top secret experiment material (lol just something I am working on) to protect them so now it will also encase the extended orientation LEDS wiring if I decide to try it.
    Thanks again.