Syma X8C questions

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Art, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Art

Art New Member

I started reviewing the X8C and was wondering about the following:
    #1 - The reviews only state that it comes with a 2gb micro sd card. Will it work with more memory (16gb)?

#2 - I noticed they only come in white & orange (per utube reviews) but Amazon shows they come in black as well. Is a black model any different than orange and why is it cheaper ($71 for black vs $93 for orange)?

#3 - Can you interchange the brush motors with brushless?

#4 - Is there a better / different transmitter? One that you can control at a longer distance?

#5 - Are you happy with this vs others you've had and why? I like it for pricing, it's far cheaper that the P3 & I'm a beginner so I'd rather learn with a cheap model so if I crash it I won't feel so bad.

Thanks

2. Joe grodis

Joe grodis New Member

1, Sure, a 16gb card will work!

2, Prices vary a great deal. I bought the Black X8C for $93 and it's a fine Quad for the price!

3, No, no brushless motor upgrade possible. The X8C is a geared DC brush motor. I think the performance the way it is is just fine.

4, Installing a Wifi antenna on your transmitter will nearly double your range. Ebay has them for like $9

5, The X8c is probably the best drone for the price. Plus you can add camera upgrades, So, it's a great Drone and you won't be sorry!

Currently I fly the X8C, a 250 FPV racer, a CX20, and a X525 (600mm) quadcopter..... I still find time to fly the X8C!!

3. Art

Art New Member

What's the 250 FPV racer like? Is this the same one as the Runner 250? They look pretty cool. What's the speed on them?

4. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

I just received a black one from Amazon and it has a 4GB card with it as stock...just FYI.

5. Art

Art New Member

Can you take a pic of it & share it on this forum?

6. webman

I will be doing a mini-review soon with some pics and video...right now I am on the road so can't do it yet!

7. Art

Art New Member

Cool - Let me know after you do the review. Well, if you do it on the reply, I'll get notified.

8. Joe grodis

Joe grodis New Member

I built my 250 racer from Ebay parts.... Yes they are fast.... you need FPV to control them. 93 MPH is typical in level flight with maybe 130 mph in a dive.

9. Art

Art New Member

Sounds pretty nice. If I had one, I'd probably trash it so I'll need to start with something a bit easier at first. Have you been flying for a while?

10. Art

Art New Member

Are they hard to fly? What was the total cash in for the 250?

11. Joe grodis

Joe grodis New Member

I think around $200... Frame, ESC's, receiver, motors, props, cc3d flight controller, and battery.

12. Joe grodis

Joe grodis New Member

CX20 on the left and a "black" X8C on the right.

Attached Files:

13. Art

Art New Member

Cool, which do you like best? What's the flight time on the CX20 battery?

14. Joe grodis

Joe grodis New Member

The CX-20 is my favorite "plastic" drone. With nonaggressive flying I get about 11 to 13 minutes.

15. Joe grodis

Joe grodis New Member

I'm new to Quads.... flying them for maybe 6 months. I started with RC helicopters 10 years ago but now I'm sold on the drones.

16. Art

Art New Member

so, these are fpv? Have you worn goggles flying it?

17. Joe grodis

Joe grodis New Member

Neither comes with FPV.... FPV is more of a 250 racing drone thing. But, I did install an FPV camera & transmitter on the CX20. Yeah I do goggles things now and then, it does take practice and getting used to that perception. FPV has gotten pretty cheap, a Quantum set up is very cheap, maybe $200ish. The Fatshark set up is much nicer but not exactly cheap.

18. webman

Well, here is a real mini-review since I just lost the thing!

Luckily I had a couple flights before I did.....

1. Nice and stable.
    2. Underpowered - remove the prop guards and any other weight possible if you are going to install a Mobius or runcam or yi camera.
    3. Stock camera is very poor.
    4. Headless mode does work - however this is of questionable benefit since I would not suggest flying models like this further than 150-200 feet from where you are standing.
    5. Not very good in winds over 8-10MPH.

Mine blew away - it was not very windy but I was trying to test out of the range and probably took it too high. I was in a large field so I thought I could easily get it back - but it probably got out of control range and then landed somewhere in a large swamp 1000+ feet away over the tree line.
    I should have put one of my audio alarms on it (low batt alarm), but didn't think of it.

All in all it might make a good "2nd quad" for those who bought a mini or micro for their first - assuming they want to take this out to a local field on calm days and get some poor pics and video. Or, you can modify it with a better cam - but you stand the chance of losing you cam and quad (like I did).

I was impressed with the stability and basic setup of it....but I think I am going to largely stay away from toy quads for any distance or camera flying. They are great for learning but too easy to lose if there are trees and tall weeds (or water) around.