Syma X1 doesn't work

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by newbie23, May 12, 2014.

1. newbie23

newbie23 New Member

My new X1 doesn't do anything. Controller batteries are new, the LiPo is fully charged. Red light on the copter flashes. Rotors move freely when touched. On the controller, a blue light flashes. I get a beep when moving the LH stick as far forward as it goes. If I move it back as far as it goes there's another beep and the light stops flashing but stays on. None of this produces any movement of the rotor blades.

Help would be appreciated

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

It may be time to return it...
    BUT, if you have a second battery, try charging that and using it. I once had a DOA battery that did something like that.

Other than that, you'd have to delve into the radio and check solder connections, etc.

I assume you are doing this in the right order? That is, putting the battery in the quad, setting it on a flat surface and letting it set it's gyros and then, after that, turning on the TX.

"The X1, as well as many other multirotor aircraft, must be place on a very level surface soon after the battery is inserted. This allows the gyros and other instruments/sensors to calibrate themselves properly. The Syma will flash it’s red LED very quickly (approx. 10 times!) to let you know it is done with the calibration. After this, turn on your transmitter, making sure the throttle(left stick) is fully down. The Transmitter will make a series of beeps and then stop once it is bound to the X1.
    Now you are ready to fly!"

3. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

Newbie23- Welcome to DroneFlyers. I have a couple of Syma X1's and Webman has suggested the standard binding procedure. There have been rare cases where due to some manufacturing defect in the arming mechanism the throttle cannot be fully returned far enough back to arm the system. One poster at rcggroups.com notched out their transmitter at the rear of the throttle gimbal/stick opening to allow for increased movement which then allowed the arming mechanism to engage. If the lights on the quad and the transmitter are solid then it is bound. If this is a brand new quad I would return it if it is an arming problem..

BTW: www.rcgroups.com has a very large thread dedicated to the Syma X1 and it is full of friendly, supportive, and helpful individuals.

I copied this from the above-mentioned thread:

Q: What is the Binding procedure?A: To bind the Tx to the Rx, you first install the Lipo into the Quad. Set it right side up on a level surface. A faint red LED light under the canopy will start to flash rapidly. During this time, you should turn the Tx ON. Give it a few more seconds, and the red LED will glow solid. The binding process is complete. You only need to bind the Tx to the Rx once. For subsequent flights, turn the Tx ON first and return the throttle to zero. This is always a good habit for RC toys. Then you install the Lipo into the Quad. The LED would flash rapidly (searching), then it will go solid (ready). If you forgot to return throttle to zero, there is a safety. The X1 would not spin up until you first return throttle to zero. (See below if you're looking for T9x Binding procedure).

That last point about "return to zero" throttle safety feature, turned out to be a problem for the following member:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=4232

There is a misalignment between the control stick and the Tx casing. The case of the Tx became an obstruction for the throttle stick to return to zero. As you could see in the video that the user posted. The X1 has the appearance of being bound to the Tx, but there was no motor functions, because the safety was still on. The throttle was not zero as you could see that there was a bar (or two) of throttle in the Tx display. The issue was solved after the user opened the case and cut a small notch in the case to allow the left stick to go all the way down.

I am an e-friend with the moderator of this thread I have his permission to share material to fellow hobbyists.

Hope this helps and Good Luck-

J

Last edited: May 12, 2014
  4. newbie23

newbie23 New Member

5. newbie23

newbie23 New Member

Thanks, guys. The link to the binding process did the trick. It seems that the relative timing of powering up the drone and turning on the controller is somewhat critical.

Now to get it away from my wife!

6. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

Timing is critical with binding. Also the binding while level part. The gyros will see whatever the angle that they initialize as "level". Enjoy that little unit. They are a hoot to fly. In order to maximize motor life let the motors cool down for a couple of minutes after each flight (one "reason" why I have 4 X1's) and try not to stall the motors- try to kill the motors when a crash seems imminent which happens a lot in the beginning of the learning curve, and try not to prop walk the poor thing out of any trees that happen to catch it. All quads are attracted to walls, ceilings, ceiling fans, trees, and other large and immobile objects. It's their nature. Letting the batteries rest after flying and before charging and after charging also seems to help with their longevity as well.

The X1 should not need a lot of tuning. Once you start needing to trim from the very onset of flight a motor may be starting to fail or something is binding the drive system. If it happens towards the end of flight it is the battery running down.

A good modification is to fashion zip tie landing struts on the motor mounts. They will add some height to the quad keeping it above and away from moisture, dirt and debris which may get into the gears and driveshafts. Silicone spray works very well as a lubricant and cleaner.

I hope this information proves to be helpful

Good luck.

Fly often, fly safely, fly responsibly-

JB

Last edited: May 13, 2014
  7. diriltici

diriltici New Member

Hi everyone,
    Ive just bought my first quadcopter a month ago, which is Syma X1, and tested for 2-3 times. Initially it was all ok. I inserted the battery, LED started flashing, turned on the transmitter and ready to fly. But two days later, X1 lose power and LED not flash anymore. I thought the battery run out and in order to charge I connected it to computer via usb cable. As to instructions, when the light on usb turns off means the battery is fully charged. After the battery charged, I placed it to the X1 but LED didnt respond. Since then my quadcopter not working. I dont think that there is connection problem related the circuit board because it is new. I assume the problem is in the battery but dont know what the really issue is. I would really appreciate if anyone help me.
    Thanks in advance.

8. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1797545&referrerid=451939

Welcome diriltici. The link above is a thread dedicated to the Syma X1 at RCGroups. It is a friendly and supportive thread with many experienced and knowledgeable X1 owner/operators.

That battery may be bad even though it seems to be accepting a charge. Was the battery fully discharged prior to your attempts to recharge it. A fully drained LiPo battery is rarely a healthy battery afterwards. There used to be the 80% rule- that one should never discharge a battery below 80% of its stated capacity. LiPo batteries may be a little more robust nowadays, but not that much.

I have had similar experiences with some of my really old X1 batteries. They read full charge (4.2V) on my multimeter and fail almost immediately upon power up of my X1's.

The fact that the LED is not illuminating with the insertion of that "charged" battery is not a good sign. I would check the battery wire leads connection to the flight control board to make sure the connections are solid. I agree the board should be operational- it is new.

It is rare that a brand new Syma X1 should fail so early.

Good Luck-

JB