Review or Mini-Review Shutterbug pro camera actuator (intervalometer)

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by webman, May 21, 2014.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Hobbyist Level: Advanced Beginner/Intermediate

This is a mini-review of the Shutterbug Pro (SP) camera actuator sold by DPCAV (Digital Products Company):
    http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/ShutterBug-Pro.html
    sbpro.jpg

What is it?

Although explained in detail on their site, let me provide a simplistic answer to what it is and what it can do.

The basic circuit board provides an electronic timer which can be set to trigger at various intervals. In addition to the timing, it can trigger in stages - so that it can be used to depress a camera shutter button 1/2 way for focus - and then fully to take the shot. It can then be repeated every "x" seconds, minutes or even hours!

The board can be programmed using the small white button at the bottom right of the picture - in combination with two colored LED's. Basic programming is quite simple - those who want to get fancier may need some experience with it as you have to step through 10 various functions and set it for each.

The Shutterbug Pro can be used in two ways:
    1. As a standalone timer - start it up and it will go until you remove power from it via a switch or battery connector (not supplied).
    2. Controlled by your R/C TX/Rx combination. You can set the unit so that you take a photo/video or a repeating set via your R/C transmitter.

Why do you need it?

Many cameras, like the Mobius and/or GoPro, come with basic timers which can be set for pictures every X seconds. However, most cameras do not have this feature. We could classify most flying cameras as:
    1. Having a built-in timer (intervalometer) such as GoPro, Mobius and Sony Action Cam
    Example: https://www.droneflyers.com/2013/08/Mobius-sport-dashboard-and-aerial-cam-first-look-and-review/
    2. Being of the Canon brand and allowing the use of the CHDK software to create a timer/intervalometer.
    Example: https://www.droneflyers.com/talk/threads/canon-s95-for-aerial-still-photography.451/
    3. Not having a built in intervalometer/timer - or having a deficient one.
    Example (BlackVue Sport): https://www.droneflyers.com/2013/12/blackvue-sc500-sport-camera-first-look-review/

In most all cases, these cameras are not easily controllable from the ground - so that ability is an additional selling feature of the SP.

How does it operate the camera?

For this review I will be testing it with a mechanical lever - a servo - which presses the shutter button just as you would if you had the camera in your hands. However, the SP is also capable of firing cameras using their built in USB and other triggering ports - but only when the camera model support such a use.

My first "bench test" setup is below. I simply hooked a 25o mah 3.7v battery to the SP pro power and connected the output to a small servo.

The only setting changed from stock (default) on this short video is the timer. It comes set to one minute and I lowered it to a few seconds. Think of the 3 positions as off (left), focus (first rightward movement) and snap pic (all the way right). The various delays and dwells times can be changed with the programming button.

Last edited: May 21, 2014
  2. webman

I purchased this unit with the BlackVue Sport camera in mind - I had this cam left from my initial review but it wasn't getting much use because it doesn't make full use of it's own hardware. The internal chip is the same used in a GoPro Black, so it should be capable of some decent pix.

It has a great Sony imaging chip and decent lens, but the settings only allow for still pictures when you manually press the button. This will probably be corrected in a future release, but I wanted to take some of those 12 MegaPixel stills NOW. I hoped that the Shutterbug Pro would solve this problem.

I don't initially need R/C control of the camera, although I may add that later. What I need is for timed picture taking, usually one every 3-4 seconds. It's easy enough to import them into iphoto (mac) and find the 1/2 dozen good ones.

After setting the timing and testing the basics, I rigged the servo up to the BlackVue rubberized case. I used a simple method of velcro and rubber bands. Since this camera is a fixed focus sports model, I don't need to use the two steps (focus, then press), however I left it programmed that way and positioned it so that the final movement pressed the shutter. The bench test seemed to work, so I'll cut some of the wires and use some solder and heat shrink to make for cleaner and more reliable connections.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few minutes later, I had a simple rig which was ready to be bolted to the Phantom- here's the setup - I have longer legs for the Phantom on the way - although I use "catch and release" for most of my camera launches and retrievals. Now it's time to give it a try!
    Note: Total weight of camera (w/o rear LCD), holder, servo, battery, timer, etc. is 140 grams.
    rearsSP.jpg frontshutterbug.jpg

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014
  3. webman

Here are three pictures - slightly cropped and also downsized for upload.
    So far, so good - these are substantially better than pics taken with the Mobius and more consistent than with the Canon S95, which is prone to blurring from the quad vibrations.

You may have to click on the pics three time (once to go to lightbox, upper right to expand to full screen, then again to full pic resolution)- to see the full resolution.
    20140521_0108.jpg 20140521_0118.jpg 20140521_0124.jpg

As an indication of the quality, I have posted a couple full size grabs from the pics below. Click to enlarge.
    Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 8.56.31 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 8.55.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-05-21 at 8.55.37 PM.png

4. webman

Summary:

The Shutterbug Pro does what it claims to do - and seems to do it without any problems. That's the first measure of a good product!

A second measure is value. Price is often in they eye of the beholder, but the price tag of $39.00 for a tiny circuit board of relatively simple operation seems high....UNTIL, you compare it with the alternatives. Here is an example:

I searched the web for mechanical or manual intervalometers - which is what I wanted. I didn't care much about the R/C control, although that is a plus for this product.

Here is the main product that comes up in such searches:
    http://tempusall.bymac.org/
    It's an all-in-one unit which sells for about $150 - that's 3X the price of my total setup (battery, servo and SP).

At the same time, I think that $150 model is grossly overpriced. At $69 or $79 it might sell well - if large quantities could be sold, it might sell for even less.

Based on all available commercial intervalometers, the SP is reasonably priced. Still, I'd prefer it to be in the $25-$29 and, putting my marketing hat on, think it might sell enough extra units to lower the cost of production and still reap a profit for the makers.

As it stands, the only real competition are homemade units, most which are above the capabilities of the average quadcopter pilot.

All in all, I'm pleased with the SP and with the entire rig - it will become my low-cost still pic setup of choice for the next couple of months.

Look around your house, your drawers and ask your family members. You may just find an ancient pocket cam sitting around that is waiting for you to install a manual "finger" on it - and fly it!

Also, you can consider buying low-cost refurb cameras like the Sony Nex-3 or the Olympus Pen 2, etc.
    I've seen many of these cameras in the $200-300 range - and they will take pictures which are of a very high quality - high quality enough for bragging rights and even light commercial (real estate, etc.) use.

Thanks for reading!