reprogramming drones?

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by Arrow_RL205, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Arrow_RL205

Arrow_RL205 New Member

Ok, so I have a slight fascination with flight and when drones and quadcopters (i'm sure they are one in the same) became mainstreamI had to get one. Now I started out with a Parrot Rolling Spider (ditched the "wheels". found them to be fairly useless except for training) and was fairly impressed with the stability and the smartphone control (big factor in buying it). now its been a couple years and wanted something a little larger with live stream. Unfortunately my wallet made me cheap out at the time and made the unfortunate decision to buy a Skydrones Eagle Eye. I know, I know. I shouldn't have done it but I can be a very impulsive buyer. I thought for $150 how bad could it be. claims to have a 6-axis gyroscope in it, so again I thought how bad could it be. got it home, charged it up and turned it on. My god, a 95 year-old man with severe parkinsons could hold their hand still better than this thing can hover. the question now is is there anything I can do to make it fly a little steadier or did I screw myself over with my impulsiveness?
    p.s. I couldn't take it back as the stores return policy states that for drones as soon as it comes out of the box its unreturnable.

2. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Well for one thing it's hard to tell who actually makes it. Many times the big box sellers just get older models of quads that they then rename and price higher. Sounds like what you want is quad with altitude hold, which these days is quite common, even on <$80 models.

Here's an example, at a lot less than what you paid.

Your Parrot has a 'Pressure sensor for the flight altitude' on the bottom. Your Sky Zone is just a plain jain offering. It's all up to you. Good throttle management is a hard skill to master on basic quads. That said I think hovering is overrated, how does it fly otherwise?