Recommendation For These Goals?

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Consultant, Sep 5, 2016.

1. Consultant

Consultant New Member

Need to buy my first quadcopter mainly for practicing aerial video shoot and post-production. I will be getting a Phantom later but for now I want something less expensive to play with with the highest quality video possible. I know, less expensive and highest quality are opposites.

Something under $250 including spare battery. Shoots at least 1080p 30fps. FPV. Decent 3-axis gimbal hopefully.

I don't need long range. Minimum 100m, reliably preferred more in the 300m range if possible. Needs to have good stable flight characteristics for shooing video.

So I was doing some research and the number of choices are just staggering. My guess is, I'm going to get the best bang for my buck getting the highest quality rig I can afford that has a decent gimbal mount that will take a 3rd party FPV cam, like a RunCam. Am I guessing correctly?

But which models out there in my price range have a good gimbal and are "plug-and-play" with a RunCam or similar?

2. Consultant

Consultant New Member

I think this is probably the direction I may want to take. I don't mind installing the Gimbal. This seems to be the best formula to get the best video footage in the lowest cost setup?

One thing I'm wondering is how to you control the drone and the camera at the same time well? Are certain apps better for the FPV than others?

3. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

That's going to be tough for what you want to spend. As far as a camera this looks to be a better and less expensive alternative to the RunCam with many nice features.
    http://www.Banggood.com/Hawkeye-Firefly-Q6-4K-1080P-24FPS-HD-Mini-Camera-for-FPV-Racer-p-1051978.html

That said a lesser config than what you want can yield some very nice results. This guy has some great looking vids using inexpensive quads and a 2 axis gimbal.

4. Consultant

Consultant New Member

Wouldn't the size of the firefly pose some challenges as most all the gimbal setups I've seen the camera mount is for a more standard size GoPro instead of those oblong sized cams. Seems you'd have to due some hokey rigging.

5. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Didn't you mention the RunCam a few times in your post?????

http://www.Banggood.com/Hawkeye-Firefly-6s-4K-Sport-HD-DV-SONY-16M-COMS-WiFi-Stabilization-Camera-FPV-p-996349.html

6. Consultant

Consultant New Member

Yes, I was just using it as an example of a third party action cam. I could have said Firefly, etc. I didn't realize Runcam was that non-standard size. I just know it's a popular action cam.

Now I just need to find a low-cost (under $500) drone that the Firefly 6s would be, plug and play, perferably with a 3-axis gimbal or the ability to install a 3-axis gimbal that transmits over 5.6ghz and I can control the video on/off and still frame shutter from the RC or from a tablet app.