Phantom 2 crash due to VRS?

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by quox, Oct 30, 2014.

1. quox

quox New Member

Hi guys,

I'm a newbie learning to to fly safetly my Phantom 2 mounted with gopro camera. Recently I crashed my quadrocopter probably due to VRS. Not sure though. I was descending with a forward flying path but at some point i began to descend for few sec vertically. You guys will be probably able to confirm whether it was due to VRS or not right after you see the video: . What do you think? Was i just a dumb beginner who learned his lesson or this could be caused by some kind of malfunction? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

The P2 can feel a bit heavy when loaded - mostly due to the battery weight. I found that when the battery was below about 40-50%, it acts differently in terms of wobble when losing altitude.

Mine was a P2+ so at least I had the vision app to see the battery level.

DJI just came out with some improved propellers - you should inquire as to whether they fit your model....just this upgrade may help solve some of this.

But, yes, a loaded P2 can act strange when descending. I'm not certain it's a problem with the "wake" because my Phantom 1 does not do it no matter how quickly I descend...even with weight. I think it's a function of the heavier weight and also sometimes the smart battery and Flight Control starting to think it's time to get near the ground (low battery). If you suspect this, you can probably change your low battery settings a bit in the NAZA assistant so it doesn't enter the mode where it thinks trouble is coming.