Optimal power system for delivery drone

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by DragonFly, Dec 30, 2015.

1. DragonFly

DragonFly New Member

I'm looking to build a quadcopter drone that will deliver packages. Currently I have the Tarrot 650 as a frame with RaspPi for computer control going to a Crius all in one. My problem is I don't know exactly what to use for a ESC/motor/prop/battery combination for maximum efficiency for handling total weight of 12 pounds at around a 45 minute flight time.

My thoughts so far: 30amp ESC/320kv motors/11*5 props/two parallel 5000mah 35c batteries.

Can anyone guide me for a better combo and also parts list to get?

Also, anyone interested in helping with this project is very much appreciated.

Thanks!

2. Joe grodis

Joe grodis New Member

12 pounds is a serious load and 45 minute flight time isn't going to happen. First, the short frame (650mm) with be a handling nightmare. I have seem 680 mm frame drones struggle with 4 1/2 pounds. Best to go with a BIG 900 mm+ Octocopter frame. The 320 KV motor have a great thrust but 11/5 props are too small. The 320 KV can take a 15 inch prop load with a boat load of thrust.
    Sounds like a fun build.

3. DragonFly

DragonFly New Member

Joe, thanks for the reply! With the given 650mm frame what would you suggest for motors/prop combination for maximum lift capacity. I would assume around 4-5lbs for drone itself, and as big of a payload as possible. This frame is also capable of becoming a hexacopter, would a higher kv/smaller props be able to support the weight/longer flight time?