Opinions on this Syma x5c FPV system

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Luke Smith, Aug 25, 2015.

1. Luke Smith

Luke Smith New Member

Hi Guys,

Looking for some opinions on whether this would be a good buy for my Syma x5c:

http://m.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopter-parts/pp_212704.html

Looks like a solid prouct after a review on YouTube just looking for some thoughts on if this would be a good addition in comparison to some potential homemade systems.

Thanks

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

I don't think you can get a homemade system for that price...at least not easily.

That said...my personal opinion is that FPV on very small and short range machines is fairly useless. These machines (IMHO) require you to actively pilot them every second during flight and trying to look at a (poor quality) screen while you are flying the quad could be tough.

On the other hand if you just want to fiddle around and see what it's like...that's another story. Just don't expect too much.

3. Ton van den Berg

Ton van den Berg New Member

Hi Luke,

For that kind of money you can also try to buy the Syma X5SW-1 FPV drone.
    We have good experience with this model and the FPV is very good for its price.

Kind regards,

Ton van den Berg
    eigendrone.nl

4. Gyrobob

Gyrobob New Member

I have the x5c FPV system. It has some issues.
    -- The picture is not all that great and it "jelloes" some.
    -- The camera weighs maybe double what the original camera weighs. It has its own non-removable battery.
    -- The x5c battery gets used up a lot faster, presumably because of the additional weight. The duration is about a minute less per flight.
    -- Probably because of my low skill level, I find it hard to maneuver looking only in FPV. Hopefully I'll get better at it.
    -- If the x5c is allowed to descend more than slowly, it goes into a wobbly descent that needs full power and a couple seconds to arrest. Again, this may be from the additional weight. I have to be careful to descend very very slowly or the thing slams into the ground. Often.
    -- The microphone on the camera sticks down further than the skids. I had to put some pads on the skids to keep the mic from scraping on the ground. The mic still hits the ground when the x5c goes into one of the descents mentioned above.
    -- There is no manual. You have to figure out how to assemble and use it all by your little ol' self.
    -- When you run out of x5c battery (which happens more often now), you have to shut off four switches to shut it all down,.. x5c, control box, FPV screen, and camera.
    This is obviously a toy FPV set up, but not very rugged,... nowhere near "prosumer" level equipment. That said, it will serve well for training,.. a good value even though rather crude.

5. Gyrobob

Gyrobob New Member

The Syma X5SW uses a smartphone for the monitor. It works, sorta, but it has some lag, making it hard to actually fly the x5sw FPV.

6. Gyrobob

Gyrobob New Member

For learning about flying manual quadcopters, both direct view and FPV, I've had more luck with the Hubsan Quads fpv x4.