New member here looking for advice on first purchase

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by speeed, Jun 10, 2014.

1. speeed

speeed New Member

hello everyone, just signed in and im ready to buy my new toy.
    im planning to buy something easy to use and not to expend a lot of money, would like to video recording from a boat or my backyard,
    any advice would be much appreciated

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

From a boat? On open water?
    My first suggestion is to learn on a quadcopter without a camera on it - because you will crash often and this would destroy the camera quickly.

If you learn proper technique, control and safety first - you will save a lot of money and trouble later.

Most new pilots start with the toy models - two examples include the Hubsan Quads X4 and the Syma (X1, X3, etc.). The Syma is bigger and is best used outside in very light winds. The Hubsan Quads can be used inside or outside.

Also, there is a difference between 3-axis quadcopters (Syma X1) and 6-Axis quads (Hubsan Quads X4, WL 212, etc.) - the 6-axis are easier to fly. They self-level when you leave go of the right stick (mode 2 flying). But you will learn more about piloting with a 3-axis.

Most all of the quads you will eventually be flying are 6-Axis these days...so if you don't care about learning extra pilot skills, you can start with a 6-Axis machine.

Once you are very confident about your skills, step up to a bigger machine which can hold a camera. I did an article on low cost aerial photography here:
    https://www.droneflyers.com/2014/05/quadcopter-aerial-photography-video-shoestring-budget/

3. Excellent points Webman. My company trains with Hubsan Quads X4s before moving up to a Phantom and then the s1000. I noticed that the X4 has two variations. For around $40 - $50 you can get the H107L with a basic controller while the H107D comes with a controller with a built-in FPV screen for around $160. How useful is that FPV on a trainer? Should I go without the FPV screen at first?

4. webman

I think the FPV is asking for trouble on a trainer.....unless you've first fiddled with a stock one and are confident that you are not going to crash.

My personal opinion is that tiny quads with FPV are interesting - but not too useful. I've lost at least 2 X4's within 70 feet of where I was flying them and can't find them to this day!

Maybe in the case of true FPV training, it can be a step on the way. But for actual use, I'm not big on tiny quads with cams.

5. Steve Cleverley

Steve Cleverley New Member

Hello. My first post and not sure I'm in the right place. My question: Aside from any price difference which would you buy (and why) between the DJI Phantom V2 and the Storm Drone 6. I have a GoPro Black3+ I plan on using. Thanks

6. webman

Hmm, that may be a tough one....

On one hand, the DJI Phantom is a fully proven, tested and mass produced item. The SD Hex is really just something you or anyone could build - they are using a DJI Flight Controller to run the thing. It has some nice features such as the carbon props, etc.

But with a GoPro black you certainly don't need any extra lifting power...the P2 is very very capable of lifting that cam and much more (gimbal, etc.)

I don't want to make your decision for you, but the real diff is like buying a car from toyota compared to having your local garage put it together with parts from toyota and other vendors. Not to say either is bad, they are just different.

7. Ronnie G

Ronnie G New Member

Dear speeed,

I'm a newbie as well. I did a bit of research, mainly in reading the excellent primer on drones called "Getting Started With Hobby Quadcopters and Drones" (you can buy this Amazon Kindle for 2 bucks). I knew what I was then looking into - for a guy like me with no RC flying experience, a toy or something in between a toy and professional drone to fly indoors would suit best.

I knew what my budget was so the Blade QX180 fit the bill. It was also an issue of availability because the local hobby store in Dubai doesn't carry a whole lot of selection. Since it's a bind and fly unit, I bought a Spectrum DX7S to go along, I figured as my hobby gets more serious I dont have to keep buying transmitters.

Haven't played around with it yet as I got it only this week. It does come with an 720p "HD" camera so we'll see how this goes.