Need-Help-With-Building-My-First-Quad

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Gudjon, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Gudjon

Gudjon New Member

Hi guys!
    I resently bought the H4 680mm Alien frame.

I want to make high quality videos for tv projects.
    What motors, SCs, FC, batteries, gimbal, props, FPV
    should I have a look at? Do you think this frame can
    carry something more than a small gopro h3? I want
    a quad that has long flight time an can carry alot!

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Well, high quality is relative - the newest GoPro Hero4 takes some very good video - to do better than that, you'd need a DJI Inspire...which is probably about the same, actually....except that it has less fisheye in the lens, which often fits with more professional video.

I'm sure that frame can carry something heavier but keep in mind that assembling a system which is properly tuned is a difficult proposition. Building quads is mostly for those who enjoy building...it often doesn't pay as compared to mass production.

Since this site covers mostly RTF machines, you are probably better off over at RC Groups or similar sites if you want to get the best suggestions for individual components.

In general, though, the video quality scale looks like his - from lowest to highest quality.

GoPro3
    GoPro4
    Inspire dedicated camera (DJI complete model)
    GH3/GH4 Gimbal and Camera: http://www.dji.com/product/zenmuse-z15-gh4-hd

A system to fly the GH4 completely with camera and gimbal is likely to cost you well over 5K even if you do the building. Even then, the system will not be well integrated like an Inspire.

It all depends on what you really want to do. If you want to learn about quads...build one. If you want to take good videos, buy a RTF model or have a dealer put together a system using well tested components.