Need help making a decision

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Crash, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Crash

Crash New Member

So I would like some input on a decision I'm trying to make. Early this month I bought a UDI U818A off Amazon when I got it all ready to fly I started adding throttle to it and noticed that right away only 3 motors started spinning it wasn't till after about 6-8% more throttle (according to the display on the controller) was applied that the fourth motor started spinning. I flew it like this with troubles trying to keep it in the air and some what stable. well I finally decided to return it as defective and ordered a second one, only because I had a second battery and the reviews I had read we're fairly good.
    Got the second one on Wednesday and got it out of the box and ready to fly, meaning I got both batteries all charged up. Well the transmitter and the quad would not hook up tried everything, reverse connection, plugging and unplugging the battery several times, turning the transmitter on and off repeatedly. Finally after moving the throttle up and down several times they linked up. took it out flying flew around pretty good chased the dog about half way through got it up about 30ft in the air suddenly lost connection and fell to the ground. Would not link back up, put spare battery in still wouldn't. I don't want to drag this out but sometimes it will link up within several minutes and sometimes it won't at all. When it does at some point it will lose connection and fall to the ground, it has even done it at about 10 feet away only a couple of feet off the ground.
    Ok so after the background what I would like help with is should I try a third one of the same or should I wash my hands of this brand and move on to something else?
    Just so you know I'm still waiting for a Hubsan Quads H107C that's coming from China and I have an Estes Proto X which I absolutely love. not really interested in another micro but I have been thinking of either a Hubsan Quads H107D (X4 FPV) or the LaTrax Alias.

Thanks Crash

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

I've never had a UDI - but given your experience and their lack of top reviews, I would be unlikely to ever have one! I'd wash my hands and go with something else! Personally, I don't want to fly a cam on a micro - I crash them all day long and also use them for fun. I'd be very angry if I lost an expensive micro with a cam on it (easy to lose small micros...even close to you!).

Some are reporting problems with the Alias (motor burnout?), but chances are they have a solid warranty...for that price! It's supposed to be pretty solid.

But my new motto is mostly to buy units that have already been proven over 6 months to a year. It seems that it takes a while to get it right. A v222 is a good choice if you want something with a cam on it - or a v212 if you don't. The X4 is nice - see my updated mini-review here today.

3. Crash

Crash New Member

Thank you for your response DroneFlyer.
    I sent the other UDI U818A and the spare battery back to Amazon and ordered a Syma X1. After reading about the reviews on it and watching some of the videos on Youtube, I have decided that was a good platform for me to work on my flying skills with plus it suppose to be good for a beginner and fairly tough and at being about haft as much as the UDI was it looked like a good bargain. Even though all this time I have been flying my Estes Proto X and I'm definitely getting better. I do also as stated before that some day my Hubsan Quads H107C will arrive from China witch will be my camera quad until I can work up to my ultimate goal of a Phantom 2 Vision.

So my Syma X1 arrived today from Amazon with 2 extra stock batteries, I was so excited, got 1 of battery charged and had to fly it to see if I really can fly a quad. Well I thought it flied very well had a couple of crashes but nothing to serious all indoors since our weather has turned to what we normally should be having in the PNW.

Anyway to sum everything up so far after one flight I'm very happy with this quad as compared to the 2 UDI's.

4. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Great - I recently fixed up an X1 that had a bad motor - and a member here sent me some extra batteries he had.....and I still love the way it flies. It makes you learn.....in my opinion. Once you learn that, you will find flying a 6-axis (v262, Phantom, etc.) to be a cake walk.

5. Crash

Crash New Member

I really like the X1 its fun to fly and not all the hard either. I find that I have to fly it on high mode because low mode seems very sluggish. It is a tough little quad though as I have had a couple of hard crashes with it and it still is flying strong. I'm very glad I decided to leave the UDI's behind and change.
    I sure wish my Hubsan Quads H107C would get here so I can see how it flies or how I fly it.

Have also been thinking of getting a Hubsan Quads X4 H107L the upgraded one to try out and add to my growing fleet.