My introduction...Blade 350X fly-way

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Alan Lumsden, Feb 23, 2014.

1. Alan Lumsden

Alan Lumsden New Member

Hi my name is Alan joined this out of a sense of frustration - Bought a 350 QX from Blade Helix -- loved it -- right up to the point when it flew away with a Go Pro on board. Cant get response from company. Anyone had a similar experience?

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Looking around the net - and at the review here in this forum, it looks like there have been quite a few problems with that model. As usual, some of them are likely "operator error" and others "manufacturer defects".

How many flights did you get before it flew away? Did it just keep going and going and go high? Was it in GPS mode?

Lots of talk about fly aways with DJI also, but I have my suspicions that 90% plus of these are due to operator error (not properly setting the compass or making sure the GPS is set, having GoPro's on board with the wireless on, flying near to power lines and other interference, etc.)....

You probably already know this, but the wireless signals many of the GoPro's and other cams use are in the same spectrum as the R/C controls.......

So there are so many variables that it's hard to pin down what makes each happen. My thinking is that if you had a newer version of that machine (actually made or upgraded in the last 90 days), then it would have fixed many of the earlier problems. If yours was an original model which was in stock since the first production runs, then it likely had problems......

Blade is known for good support. I'm surprised they didn't at least tell you something - like "it's your fault"....etc.

3. BoostN

BoostN New Member

The response from Blade on others problems have been excellent, I'm also surprised they told you that.

Now, did you have your GoPro shielded when flying? Which GoPro model?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014
  4. Akcobra

Akcobra Member

Sorry to hear that Alan. I'm surprised you haven't had any response from Horizon, their support is typically the best in the business. I've had pretty good luck with my Blade, but I usually fly it with the GPS disabled. Like Webman said, lots of variables here, including your flying environment, what mode you were flying in, etc. GoPros are notorious for interfering with the GPS too, so if you were flying with the GPS enabled and the Gopro on that might have something to do with it.

I don't suppose you had your name and address anywhere on the model did you? Don't give up on Horizon just yet, they may give you a credit toward a replacement or something. I doubt you'll get a full free replacement with no video proof though.