Museum Researcher trying to understand Drones

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by AMNH Researcher, Feb 3, 2017.

1. AMNH Researcher

AMNH Researcher New Member

Hi everybody,

I work for a museum in NYC and one of the curators here has a side interest in aviation research which I am helping him with. Two years ago, we did a historical look at the rotor designs for helicopters by specifically looking at the numerous rotor patterns that existed early which ultimately led to one the one main rotor and one tail rotor becoming the standard design.

Presently, we want to make information more relevant by comparing it to the numerous rotor designs and configurations that exist in drones today. However, I was hoping someone could provide some information as to the major drone manufacturers that currently exist as a starting point.

Thanks for your assistance!

P.S.

Sorry if this post doesn't belong here; I had no idea where to begin.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

In consumer drones, the major manufacturers are DJI (by far)...then a couple others like Parrot, Yuneec, Autel and some smaller companies.

One of my books has a bit of light information on the subject - they are both published free online here. History of R/C and History of Quadcopters/multirotors....

https://www.droneflyers.com/index/
    chapter 3 and 4 should touch on that.

I would be glad to help you in any way I can with your project. Please feel free to private message me through the forum and/or contact me by email at cissod at gmail dot com.