Modifying Hubsan X4

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by sniece, Apr 25, 2014.

1. sniece

sniece New Member

So, I got an x4 for Christmas, with the SD camera, and try as I might, I can't get stable imagery out of it. There is always some instability in the image, which tends to present itself as large shifts in the video on alternating lines (think really wide interlacing of the video). If the camera is running with the props turned off, video is pretty decent.
    As I work for a company that builds high end, airborne stabilized camera systems, this bugs me to no end. I'm trying to find a solution to this problem, but at this point, I think that would involve building a new frame to mount everything into...and I wouldn't mind making this a project...I'd have more fun doing that than buying something new.

Has anyone undertaken a project like this? If I do this, I would be inclined to extend the arms to the motors out further, and possibly install larger props. Debateable at this point whether the stock motors would be sufficient, but changing them would likely take things to a whole new level, given the stock main board probably wouldn't support a higher load.

Thoughts? Am I completely nuts? Other ideas on what could be done to improve the stability? I also wondered about 3 blade props to change the frequency of th e vibrations, but can't seem to find anything sized for the x4.

Thanks,
    Stephen

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

I think it's a situation of diminished returns. Unless you 100% need a tiny craft like that, you'd be better investing in something like the Eye One Extreme and a Mobius cam and then working on the mounting of the Mobius.

However, I would never say you were nuts. Some people like wasting time and money with this hobby...even if they don't succeed. I tend to look at the end result, though, and it will be very difficult to make these cheap micros take stable video.

3. readyquadcopters

readyquadcopters New Member

4. marcusbruner552

marcusbruner552 New Member

Obviously, it's a valuable job.
    Have you master how to control your Hubsan Quads X4? If didn't, master it before do this valuable job..

5. Chance

Chance New Member

I modified my TX to accept house current (with a very long extension cord that gets me well into my backyard), because I was tired of going thru a set of 4 batteries every half hour of flight time. I assume it is the FPV that eats a lot of current.
    Does anybody know how to turn off FPV so I can just record and view later?