Looking for "the best" FOLLOW ME Drone

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by boris oosterveen, Dec 15, 2015.

1. boris oosterveen

boris oosterveen New Member

After spending hours and hours on the internet i came up with the brilliant idea to ask for help.

I have investigated drones for some particular functions, must haves:

1. Follow me function:
    Follow a phone only
    or
    (preferred) Follow a wristband / or something equal.

2. Manual controlling:
    By phone
    and/or
    Controller

You should think those 2 options are simple and available on almost every drone, NOT!!!!

I checked the following:

Airdog,
    only function 1.
    Lilly drone, only function 1.
    Iris+, only option 2. (option 1 only in combination with a controller)
    SOLO, only option 2. (option 1 only in combination with a controller)
    Hexo+, Damn, did i just found the only one, while writing this master piece?
    Ghost drone, option 2.
    Plexidrone, still not delivering and fucking people over.
    Yuneec drone, only option 2. (option 1, follows controller.
    Steadidrone maverick, Only option 2. (option 1, follows controller)

If someone know "the" drone for me, please let me know.
    (or if i have made a mistake in my research)

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

It's easier to think and desire than to engineer!

It would be good to know your total exact plan of use for this - most people want multi-purpose, but some only want one function.

I would cross everything off your list except the following...
    Airdog (but wait a while)
    Hexo+ (wait a little bit for honest reviews)
    Ghost new models (also wait a bit).

Wait, in any case, until after CES in early Jan. and see what else shakes out.

The Phantom 3 is starting to have some SDK apps that would seem to be pretty fancy - but, again, depends on your exact wants and needs. See this link:

Some basics of the technology.....

GPS is only accurate to within a few meters - so say 10 feet. Since you have two GPC devices (bird and target), that makes it 20+ feet.

This means no follow-me through streets, trees and other such paths.

Don't worry, though - they are working on various schemes for more accuracy. They likely will use either assisted GPS or a combo of AGPS, Obstacle avoidance, etc.

But it won't show up ready to buy and fly on the shelves next week or next month.

3. boris oosterveen

boris oosterveen New Member

HI Webman,

Thank for your reply.

Your right.... easy thought.....ideas enough.....
    (but no skills)

My total exact use will be:

Follow me on sports like kitesurfing (water), snowboarding, etc.
    Meaning that it will need to follow a wristband or a telephone (in a case)

and

I would like to control it via a phone or controller, i am not a drone pilot so a simple app or controller would be sufficient enough. (Just to film others and surroundings.)

The minor from the Airdog is that you can't control it, it just follows.
    + (including for the others) We still have to wait for release dates & proper reviews.

Plexidrone looks promising unfortunately a lot of negative rumors regarding release dates & costumer service.

Vertical app looks promising but not for me..... you still need to control the flying....
    As they already saying themselves.... "it's not an Follow me app".

Appreciated your feedback, i do hope i missed "the perfect drone" and someone can point it out....
    (or not, and i just need to wait.....)

4. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Yeah, Plexidrone seems to be a total scam - not a 1/2 way one. That is, I don't think they will ever produce anything.
    Some of the others are designed to do SOME of what you mention - but, honestly, you are likely to lose them if you use them for total autonomous flight.

We're not there yet - but things are moving along nicely. When I first took up this hobby 3 years ago I desired something which was capable of taking pictures of me on my sailboat. That would require not only stabilization but a lot of wind resistance as winds are often 15-20 MPH+

Now we have models like the Phantom 3 which actually can deal with winds up to 20MPH or so (gusts). But it would still have to be somewhat manually controlled even with follow me.....

Still, we are not yet at the point of having it take off from land, accomplish the mission, and then land again!

You should still start to learn the basic technology if you have the time and money.....