HEXO+ Bluetooth Functionality... Suspicious?

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by DroneN00b, Jun 14, 2015.

1. DroneN00b

DroneN00b New Member

Many of you have probably heard of the HEXO+ follow-me drone. I am working on making a follow-me drone and have been exploring different possibilities. They make the claim (https://hexoplus.com/blog/bluetooth-it-is-flying) that:

"We never had issues for the past 2 months for distance below 60 meters when the drone is in the air, which is good enough to get great video shots of you in actions. We have even reached 100m in some cases."

This seems bogus to me, how can a bluetooth signal reach farther than 10m at most? Pretty much all mobile devices are class 2 bluetooth, which means they won't exceed this range. I'm sure their testing was using class 1 beacons, but this completely defeats the point of their "convenience" factor. If we have to use a class 1 beacon then we might as well be using a GPS instead.

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

I will be amazed if that machine ever makes it to market and then succeeds.
    They simply don't have the org nor the money to bring this thing to fruition. The game has changed and I can't see how they are going to go up against GoPro or even companies like AirDog who have gotten millions more in funding.

At some point one or two companies may have successful "follow me" sports drones...but I suspect that is a long way off. It is getting to the point now where you need tens of millions for even basic development and much more for full bore manufacturing and distribution.

IMHO, of course.