Multirotor News Link FAA LOSES case against Drone Business!

Discussion in 'New Products, News, Advancements, etc.' started by webman, Mar 6, 2014.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

2. IceFyre13th

IceFyre13th Guest

But the back story is going to be ..................lets just say the key words are "In plain language it says that there's no federal aviation regulation concerning model aircraft, or what are now more commonly referred to as 'drones,' and that those devices are not considered to be 'aircraft' for purposes of the FAA's rules and regulations," Schulman, a special counsel at Kramer Levin Naftalis & Frankel in New York City. "In reaching that conclusion it also says that the 2007 policy statement from the FAA that implemented a ban on the commercial use of drones is not enforceable as a regulation." From a more in depth story found at http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2014/03/10/commercial-drones-faa/

And the last part of that story "The decision indicates that there's no federal regulation that directly addresses the commercial operation of drones, and as a general proposition in the United States if there's no regulation prohibiting conduct then as American citizens we're free to engage in that conduct," Schulman says. "But that's still subject to standards of negligence and tort law that might apply in the event that someone actually gets hurt or property is damaged. It's not a free license to do anything you want."

So for now, great.....but as this judge has now slapped the FAA's hand you can bet they will start writing the rules instead of sitting on their thumbs as they have been lately.........as normal being overly cautious and having a vested interest in UAS's........I will still say don't do it with out "all your ducks in a row"

3. webman

If the FAA is like the gov. agencies my industry deals with - that means it will take years to do something!

My view is that I wouldn't quit my day job and invest some big money in a new company taking pics, etc - but if I was a realtor I wouldn't be too concerned with taking a couple shots of properties, etc.

Some companies are offering insurance, which is probably a good idea if anyone is going to operate in anything other than hobby mode.

4. webman

5. IceFyre13th

IceFyre13th Guest

Unfortunately, I have to be careful......some of my work has been with the FAA, so I am very "exposed" and frankly do not wish to lose my contract with them or my other clients.

And, we still have to remember, the local laws and regulations that city or states have put into place, even if the FAA cant, your local laws my have an impact on you......"know your local laws", and don't forget, that fat shark or other video transmitter is covered under the FCC....you need a license to operate it......

I can see the issue being pushed to the FCC, city or other local laws......and hobbyists again being harassed by the other players....

Put it another way, just because the FAA got slapped dose not mean its a free for all...............

webman likes this.