DJI Phantom 3 buying advice

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by efiste2, May 31, 2016.

1. efiste2

efiste2 New Member

Before I take the plung and buy a Phantom 3, id like to ask some basic questions to you learn-ed chaps, I have spent about four months using a Syma XC5 and have mastered the flying of it without any issues (except wind) so personally id like to step up to a semi decent model, which I beleive the Phantom3 is the one that suits me most.
    So before ordering, if I can ask you chaps some basic questions.....Firstly in the scenario of operating the Phantom 3 in my back garden, if I send it further a field, say across the football pitch behind our house, If i press the home button, am I correct in thinking the unit will return to the preset location, ie I dont want it landing anywhere else, Secondly compared to the Syma XC5 is the Phantom stable (ish) in the wind, or breeze etc etc due to it having the GPS feature.
    having mastered (grown out of) the Syma is it perfectly feasable to upgarde to the Phantom 3 standard version, and be able to operate it safely and competantly, as well as capturing some good video/photo footage.
    Does the Phantom stream live footage to my smartphone via an app ?

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

1. It will be incredibly stable compared to the toy models - you will think it is magic!
    2. It's always best to steer your machine by yourself - and with the Phantom it is easy to do so since you see the camera view of what the drone sees AND there is also a "radar" screen as well as a flight path shown.
    I don't use the home button or command unless I have no other option. But if you do use it, it will return and generally land within 10 feet of the takeoff point.
    3. Yes, it streams the footage to your phone - live. It saves a higher resolution copy on the sd card on the drone.

I think you will be pleased with the way it operates - just study up on the basics in the manual and online videos, etc.

3. black butte

black butte New Member

I would like to suggest to evaluate Phantom 4 as well. Overall, it is more easy to fly, but much more difficult to crash! It can autonomously stop if you fly it directly in to an object, say a building or a tree.

4. efiste2

efiste2 New Member

Brilliant advice, thanks for that, any tips on spotting a genuine DJI model, rather than a fake one (if they exisit)

5. royster

royster New Member

All good advise, I too flew a Syma x5c for a couple of months, belive me when I say therfe is no comparison to a Phantom, other than the right/left stick controls of the Syma are the same as the Phantom.
    flying the Syma was/is a great idea before you step up to a serious flyer. I just got the Phantom 3 advanced, almost went for the "4" but shooting in 4K takes a huge base computer to work with, 1080P is more than enough for a casual shooter like me.
    The "avoidance" feature on the 4 is cool, but only works from the front, that & the difference in cost, having to wait for shipping, was deciding factor for me.
    Another factor, I shy from buying any brand new product, I like to let them get the inevidable bugs out for a few months.
    The Phantom 3 advanced is more than enough to keep my little pea brain occupied for months to come!
    Good luck whichever Phantom you buy, you won't be disappointed!