DJI Phantom 2 Vision +: range issues

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Mike Price, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Mike Price

Mike Price New Member

My Phantom 2 Vision + (with camera attached) works fine, but I am 'only' getting a range of around 250 metres horizontal. I have set my ceiling at 120 metres but if I go over 225 / 245 metres horizontal, then I lose signal and it comes back on failsafe mode. I can get back control easily enough by flicking down to ATTI mode but, for my filming up on the Ridgeway, I could do with 350+ metre range. Not near any houses / pylons, open countryside with clear line of sight. Transmitter is in CE mode (as in UK); should I swop to FCC? Have also seen a 'range booster' on App Store but don't really want to add another potential weak link. Batteries fully charged, aerial sideways on underneath wi-fi booster. Using Naza control mode, with good GPS lock (9 or even 10). Any suggestions?

2. IceFyre13th

IceFyre13th Guest

http://www.fpvuk.org/things-explained/video-frequencies-for-fpv/

http://www.buzzflyer.co.uk/2.4G-RC-Guide.asp

The last link has your answer
    "Lower power consumption
    Within the same control range (up to 250m), a 2.4G system will consume only a fraction of the power required by a 35mhz system - about 4mW compared to 750mW - saving £s on AA batteries - and allowing you to fly longer!"

Seems you are limited in the UK on available transmitting power........as the statement is "within the same control range (up to 250m)".....and honestly line of sight at that distance your only seeing a dot.

3. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

I'll have to check my TX setting...I think I once heard that they often come with the lower power setting even in the USA.....

I haven't lost my R/C signal, but my wireless extender (the iphone link) breaks quite often at as little as 120 meters or so. It tends to come back on by itself....probably the orientation I have the extender facing.

They do mention (DJI):
    "Try to keep the antenna pointing skyward, perpendicular to the ground, in order to achievethe maximum communication range during flight."

It is remotely possible that you have a bad antenna or connection in the TX...but I doubt it. You would probably get even less range if that was the case.

4. Mike Price

Mike Price New Member

Well im now getting 450 metres +, I haven't tried going further as frankly I can't see the darn thing even at this distance! I just made sure my aerial is straight up and that I keep the range extender pointing towards my Phantom. Getting some great pictures and video!

Attached Files: