General Hint Cheap Training Drone

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Sapper23, Oct 28, 2016.

1. Sapper23

Sapper23 New Member

I'm looking to jump into the hobby of drone piloting. After some preliminary research on the subject, I'm looking at getting a DJI drone for some high altitude photography and some fun aerial exploration. That being said, I've decided that I do not want to spend $1,000+ on a new gadget that I do not yet know how to pilot. I'm hoping that some of the veterans on this site can point me toward a good training drone that I can hone my piloting skills before getting in over my head with a high priced drone. I'm looking to spend around $100 for something to get my feet wet and hopefully master the basics of drone piloting.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a good training drone?
    • I want the controls to be similar to that of the higher priced drones (if possible), so that I can get a feel for the transmitter.
    • I plan to train myself over the next few months (its getting cold), so if there are good drones that can be used both indoor and outdoor, that might be a good option for me
    • Added bonus: If there is a good FPV style trainer out there, I wouldn't mind getting used to flying with a mounted camera.

2. Sapper23

Sapper23 New Member

So I stumbled upon the Beginners Guide (https://www.droneflyers.com/2014/11/beginners-only-the-best-first-quadcopter/) and realized that this subject was covered pretty extensively. My fear was that I would purchase a "trainer" and then find that the controls were completely different from that of the higher priced drones. Someone, please correct me if I am wrong... but it sounds like basic controls are relatively the same from entry level to professional level drones.

I apologize for muddying up the forums with a topic that has been covered :)

3. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

That's pretty much the case.

This is a Mode 2 set up. The most common in the USA.

[​IMG]

Sapper23 likes this.
  4. hameed_farah

hameed_farah New Member

I am in the same boat as you...or should I say quad as you :)
    I only have a cheap copy of the Syma x5 and want to invest a bit into something more fun.

So what do you guys think?

5. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

The X5s are quite docile as you have noticed. This inexpensive quad is much more acrobatic and priced right.
    http://www.gearbest.com/rc-quadcopters/pp_366866.html?wid=21

Looks like it can take some abuse too. :)

6. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

I just tested a UDI with full FPV - even had goggles - and it actually worked. Of course, there is a lag in the FPV....
    You will see the review on the front page of the site.

My usual advice for a wanna be pilot would be to start with one of the popular beginner Syma or similar models (X5 is the world's biggest seller for a reason)....and then maybe graduate to the brushless XK X251 or similar (about $120)......between these two, if you get the hang of them, you will be well on your way to flying anything.

Another way in would be to buy one starter model - then one of the Phantom 3 Standard Refurbs (about $360) - you are then in for less than $400 and you can resell the Phantom for $300 or so once you want to step up. That would give you some basics on the Syma and then experience with an "app based" model.

I have put my beginners book online in PDF form for free at this link:
    https://www.droneflyers.com/free-dji-phantom-3-4-ebook/

Here is the DJI refurb store
    http://bit.ly/2ec04ec

here is the standard at Amazon refurb at 340 - http://amzn.to/2fJyJ65

Good Luck!

Sapper23 likes this.
  7. roundtine

roundtine New Member

I'm practicing with a Hubsan Quads x4 h107c. It does not have altitude hold and it does not have GPS hold.

As a beginner I like it because it can be very docile by dialing back the sensitivity of the controls, and by attaching the prop guard. This lets you fly indoors. You can crash into walls with minimal harm, and outdoors you can remove it to make it zip around.

Outdoors, it's small enough so you can't tell which way it's heading, especially if you turn off the LEDs. Why is this an advantage? So you can practice orienting your quad without cheating. As a beginner, you'll have cold sweats when you realize you don't know which way the copter is pointed, and you need to be able to retain control and composure when that happens. Best to practice with a tiny dot in the sky than a bigger unit which you have the safety blanket of always knowing its orientation.

I've graduated to a Hubsan Quads H501s, which adds altitude hold, GPS lock and FPV. I like it so far: altitude and GPS hold are great cheats, but I'm glad I learned without needing to rely on these crutches. Next step is a Phantom 4 Pro!

8. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

HUH?

9. Sapper23

Sapper23 New Member

I appreciate the input. I've actually been leaning toward a refurb model. DJI's claim to honor the warranty as if new if very appealing. Do you (or others) have any experience with the refurbished Phantoms? Can I trust DJI to deliver a quality quad without having to go through the nightmare of dealing with customer service?

10. webman

They are now claiming that all refurbs were returned (from customers) within a week or two. That often means they were never flown....customer ordered wrong model, etc.

If DJI doesn't come through you always have your pp and cc company as protection.
    There is always the chance you will get one not properly checked by a particular employee - but my guess is that most returned are not for defects, but just regular customer returns (wrong model, they found better price, etc.)

Sapper23 likes this.
  11. Sapper23

Sapper23 New Member

Well after learning to fly with my Syma X5C (excellent suggestion btw, very durable machine) and enjoying it, I'm ready to move past the "toy grade" model. I want to reach out a little further than the 100ft range of my Syma, and I'm very interested in doing some hobby aerial photography/exploration. I've decided to take that plunge into the consumer drone pool and purchase a refurbished DJI Phantom 3 Pro (Webman, your comment went along with many others regarding confidence in DJI's refurbs). I've read Craig's ebooks, I've scoured the internet for deals and information, and I'm dedicated to not be the noob that crashes his new high priced toy on day 1. I'll be sure to let everyone know how the refurb option from DJI pans out. It looks like I have about a month to impatiently wait before I receive my new baby, but I'll try not to annoy the forum too much with silly questions :D

I appreciate the information from all of those that commented. Happy Flying Folks!

12. webman

Great to hear - looking forward to your pics and vids.
    I think you will find it much easier than you think - in terms of piloting.
    You can then concentrate more on photos and all the various options in the app.

13. mark labarbera

mark labarbera New Member

Holy stone makes great copters.they are very steady,user friendly and have all the features you need to learn quickly.has altitude hold(very important for beginnets),fpv(wifi view from your phone)and are priced low(find on ebay new for about 60 bucks.i started with the holy stone x401 and learned very quickly.

14. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Holy Stone is just a re-brander not a manufacturer. Many of them are made by JJRC, usually older models.