Cheap Blade 350 qx3 gimbal for GoPro Hero 3?

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by mmazz365, Aug 24, 2015.

1. mmazz365

mmazz365 New Member

Hey everyone,

This is my first thread here. I impulse bought a blade 350 qx3 as a beginner drone for taking pictures and video with my gopro.

My question is, after my first flights today I realized I would really like a gimbal to make my video more steady. I know that blade makes the GB200, but my issue is it is over my budget.

In the case, does anyone know of any gimbals that are cheaper and will attach to the 350 qx3 without any major modification?

Also, when using the gopro, I lose connection to my cellphone because it won't reach very far. Is that normal? is there anyway to take pictures or start and stop video with my DX4? I'd really like a reliable way to see the video shot and start and stop with no issues. Thank you!

2. mmazz365

mmazz365 New Member

Anyone?

3. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Here are some comments.....

Do not use the GoPro wireless in any way. This could block the R/C control of the quad and cause a crash. Turn off the GoPro wireless!

As far as the gimbal - my basic advice would be to use the 350 as it is - for mostly still photographs (interval shooting).
    The reason I make this suggestion is the cost/value/reliability calculation...sure, you could spend a lot of hours and some money putting together a gimbal, a FPV system, etc. - what you would end up with is short flight times, short range (FPV), no camera control, etc.

Basic calculations:
    350 = $450
    Gimbal = $150 (mid-grade - will still take tuning)
    FPV - $150+ (low range).
    Misc - $50+
    In addition you will spend many hours figuring out how to power the gimbal - and you cannot control the GP...

So that's $800 total plus a lot of hours - plus the end result is not what you really want.

For the same price you can buy a DJI Phantom standard and have everything you want and more...
    http://click.dji.com/1yk3KUe9TO2kUNTE

That's my advice - use the 350 as what it - a great machine to fool around with and take shaky video and/or some decent stills. But if you truly want camera control, etc. you should move on rather than trying to make it into a modern gimbal equipped craft.

4. mmazz365

mmazz365 New Member

I understand where you're coming from, my only question is how exactly can you take stills with a gopro without using the wireless with your phone or a remote.

5. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Only with interval shooting - that is, you set your GoPro (it's in the settings) to take a pic every 2 or 5 seconds and then harvest them all when the drone returns and find the couple that are the best.

I did that for over a year and got some great shots.

6. Arthur Burke

Arthur Burke New Member

You're a spoil-sport - but I wish I'd met you a year or so back! Could have saved some money.

The gyrations I went through with several quads (which you already know about) would have been significantly lessened
    if I'd heard that lecture before!

My P3 is still doing fine, though I've been spending a lot of my time building a little 250 racer - learning the ropes on building.
    Bought a used 350 with an old gimbal and camera - tried and true. Chroma has not yet returned from HH. Hoping that their
    re-furb (if that's possible) will solve it's runaway tendency!

So that's three quads, three gimbals and three cameras - but I still like the idea of sticking my GoPro on one of them and doing
    the interval shooting.

7. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

I don't think you should give up. Eachine makes an inexpensive 2D gimbal, Lots of vids on YouTube.
    http://www.Banggood.com/Light-FPV-Brushless-Gimbal-wMotors-Controller-For-DJI-Phantom-p-968168.html

There is also this one.
    http://www.gearbest.com/rc-parts/pp_110479.html

You may find this vid interesting (it's the solid case one).

http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=568402

Note it's always a good idea to loosely run small nylon ties through the rubber antivibration balls just in case they pop off.