Buying a new quad, need advice :)

Discussion in 'Misc. Quadcopter & Multirotor discussions' started by sebatasa, Jan 18, 2016.

1. sebatasa

sebatasa New Member

Hello everyone,

this is my first time posting on a forum related to quads, so please bare that in mind :)

I currently own a Syma X5C, which i picked up for 60$ as i wanted to try drone flying for a while and i enjoyed it immensly, so now i want to buy something more "serious" in the price range of 150-250$.

What are good drones for "advanced begginers" ?

I would prefer one that comes with a controller, since i heared smartphone controls are not as good? also i would like one that is capable of first person view.

I would be really grateful for any input :)

2. dronester

dronester New Member

just depends on what you want to do with it. if you want to do aerial photography youll want a larger 450mm frame quad. If you are into the new-thing "racing" youll want a smaller 250 or 280mm frame.

3. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Don't go for smartphone controlled - that's good advice!

If you simply want to have a more powerful machine, consider various models such as the Eachine 250's, Falcon (also at Banggood), etc.

If you want to do real high quality video, then you need a stablized camera and will have to spend more.

So, as dronester noted, it's a question of where you want to go from here. Generally there are these different types of hobbyists.

1. DIY types - they care more about soldering and experimenting than actually flying
    2. FPV and fast flying - these machines are fast and can have cameras - but the cameras are more for first person view than for scenery.
    3. Aerial Photography and Video - these users enjoy getting a new perspective on the world - but the machines aren't designed for "fun" or just flying around for kicks. Check out our photo and video forum for some examples of what other pilots are doing.
    https://www.droneflyers.com/talk/forums/aerial-picture-and-video-showcase.16/

4. dave scott

dave scott New Member

Multirotors equipped with 6-axis stabilization have all the attributes of 3-axis stabilization, plus accelerometers on each axis to further improve control and handling. For example: While 3-axis stabilization returns a heli to a level attitude when the controls are neutralized, there’s nothing to stop it from continuing to drift. The addition of accelerometers causes the heli to try to stop any uncommanded movements, except for altitude changes. However, how well these systems work, and subsequently how easy each multirotor is to fly, usually corresponds to the heli’s price tag and thus the level of sophistication and quality of the technology (not counting camera and accessories). Excerpted from www.rcflightschool.com/MultiPDFs/MultirotorConsiderations.pdf