Buy the Phantom or F450 setup

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Mikerodrig27, Mar 24, 2014.

1. Mikerodrig27

Mikerodrig27 New Member

I'm new here and I'm looking to purchase a quadcopter setup relatively soon. The phantom units look to be very nice and chances are, if I don't get the F450, I'll get a phantom. However, there is a F450 being sold locally that looks like it may be a decent deal. I wanted to get your guys opinion on whether I should go for it or look into getting a new phantom. My wife and I are planning on using it for video on a car camping trip along the east coast of the US and in the Big Island of Hawaii where we're moving. The big thing we're looking for is a better platform for video but we know next to nothing about quadcopters. Here's the specs on it $650:

2x F450 quadcopter kits (one used one new and not put together)
    Naza v1
    GPS module
    FS-TH9X with new Tx module (comes with original)
    flashed with er9x firmware
    flash writer is built-in/included
    1 3600 Mah pack and
    3 5000 Mah packs

For additional cost:
    Fatshark Base edition goggle
    ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz 600mW vTx and vRx
    Brand new LCD monitor that I never took out of the box

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

It's just my opinion - but if you are not already deeply schooled in the details of all this stuff (operating the 9X, setting up models, etc), I'd say you would be safer getting an RTF Phantom.....less chance of problems from the get-go and more chance you'd be able to solve anything which came up.

Lots of options on the video - depends on budget, etc. and how much time you have to become familiar with all the in's and outs of the quad, your choice of cameras, etc.

You can take great video with a camera like the Mobius - and at the price ($80), you can have a spare one on hand.

There are almost endless choices depending on how you intend to use the video. If you are going for semi-pro and have experience taking video, editing, etc, then you might consider the DJI Phantom 2 being sold with the gimbal - then you have to add a camera to it as well as FPV (if you desire FPV).
    "DJI Phantom 2 Ready to Fly Quadcopter - With Zenmuse H3-2D Camera Gimbal"

If your budget is a bit tighter and you can live with the 8-10 minutes flight times, the original Phantom(about $420 these days) along with a Mobius and a couple extra batteries will put you in business.

3. Mikerodrig27

Mikerodrig27 New Member

Learning curve aside, do you think it is a good deal? I've gone into a lot of hobbies and welcome a difficult learning curve. From what I understand, the F450 is a lot more stable for video shooting than a phantom. Not 100% sure on this though.

Thanks for the response. Any opinions are welcome.

4. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

It's hard to put the learning curve aside because it can equal $$$.....

So, if money is not really an object and you feel like learning more about the insides, etc. - the 450's can be a great platform. More stable? Again, it's a matter of RTF vs. something which may need more tuning, prop balancing, choices etc.

Personally, I don't think it is more stable than a Phantom with a gimbal.

I think this is the old conundrum about build vs. buy. My answer was based on you getting from zero to taking video as quickly and easily as possible. You didn't lay out your previous experience in R/C or quads in the OP, so it's hard to judge. I personally wouldn't want either of those models as my first quad...

5. Mikerodrig27

Mikerodrig27 New Member

Gotcha, I'm going to read a lot more on it. I like the idea of building something rather than buying something. That's always been my style. Thanks!

6. BoostN

BoostN New Member

You can always start off with the RTF model then once you have the "feel" for quadcopters then move on up. That's my plan, I'm flying my Blade 350 to learn all I can. Then I will move in the direction of building my own as like you building something brings more value then flying something off the shelf.

7. Mikerodrig27

Mikerodrig27 New Member

The F450 didn't work out. I'm going to skip a RTF model. After researching it, I know I'll end up outgrowing it and wanting more than it has to offer very quickly. So I'm going to build a 450mm - 550mm X style quad. Looking at everything, I feel confident about it. Also, I have experience with Flying friends RC units and I catch onto that stuff pretty well.

Two things I'm interested in with the unit is:
    GPS
    possibly the ability to carry more than one battery and GoPro with gimbal

Thanks for all of your help guys.

8. BoostN

BoostN New Member

Be sure to share your build log once you get started, I'm hoping to start on one soon myself.

9. Mikerodrig27

Mikerodrig27 New Member

Yes definitely. I'm working on a parts list over the next week once I feel confident about that I want exactly then I'm going to post a thread, order parts ect.

Steve Chua likes this.
  10. Akcobra

Akcobra Member

The biggest problems with the Phantom or the Blade 350QX are that if you break something you have to replace the whole body, and the stock versions are range limited. If the thought of building one appeals to you then I recommend you go that route. You'll save a lot of money and learn a lot about your quad in the process.