Hints and Tips Discussion Blade Chroma Gets No Respect

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Jimmy Blade Chroma, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Jimmy Blade Chroma

Jimmy Blade Chroma New Member

I fly a Blade Chroma CGO2 1080P drone and have been doing so for about five months. This drone flies beautifully. It handles well in 20mph winds and the link between it and the ST+10 transmitter has good control. Still photos and Video is, in my opinion, about as good as what I have seen from Phantom 3's or 4's.

So, why is it that certain drone owners of these high-end models seem to think that their drones are more special than Blade Chroma drones? It seems like my model gets no respect. I don't need two controllers to fly; I don't need an IPhone or Ipad to fly.

Check out my last youtube video entitled Ogeechee River Swamp Norfolk Southern Rail Line 6 20 2016. The Blade is at 350 feet altitude and covers an area of 1500 feet. This swamp is 500 acres in area.

Jim Blade Chroma

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

I liked my Blade 350 a lot.
    However, the Chroma has proven less than reliable for some (including our review model, which crashed due to manufacturing defects).

Lots of Chroma owners report GPS dropping out. The camera is decent - not up to the level of a P3P or P4.
    Of course, if you are not picky and have a good subject, the video will look great.

I don't think it's a matter of no respect - just that Yuneec (maker of Blade Chroma) has generally not been up to the reliability and value that the Phantom 3 set. As an example, the P3A was $599 on Amazon last week. Given the range, image quality, 3rd party software (waypoints and more), it's tough to match up in value for those who desire those features.

These is a market for all of these quads - Chromas are often sold by Local Hobby Shops who can provide education, service and advice.

3. Jimmy Blade Chroma

4. Jimmy Blade Chroma

So, tell me how GPS drops out for Blade Chroma drones? There are so many GPS satellite links for the Blade to connect to that I have my doubts that the loss of control is due to GPS poor locking. If these pilots neglect to do their compass checks, wait until their transmitters tell them, "Welcome, Pilot", and don't launch their birds 30' and then do a RTH check, then may be they will lose the GPS lock. And, to make such a blanket statement that Yuneec has not been up to the reliability and value that the Phantom 3 has set is a specious argument. Where is your proof for that statement? What you said is your opinion,
    not incontrovertible proof. And, what do you mean when you say "picky" and have a "good subject"? Both of these criticisms are a personal opinion. And, Phantoms never lose GPS lock? How do you know that they don't? In addition, Phantom cameras produce 12MP stills and video. Blades, even with CGO3's, have 16MP stills and video. So, before you "diss" Blade Chromas and their pilots, make sure you have your "facts" in front of your face.

5. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

One "fact" is that I have spoken to two highly regarded companies that sell and repair MANY Yuneec and DJI models. One of them bent my ear on the phone for 1/2 hour telling me about the quality control problems (and returns) they have with Yuneec. The other is an electronics repair expert with military experience who takes these apart to the component level...

That's in addition to follow the forum threads over at RCG where many of the Chroma owners crashed in the first couple months. The Q500 seems to have been more reliable, although many Yuneec and Chroma pilots (some with DECADES of R/C experience) mention they get occasional GPS dropouts. Many of the new Yuneec H models are experiencing GPS problems and some say Yuneec has told them there are problems (bad batch of GPS hardware).

Do your own research and make up your own mind. I spend 100's of hours studying sales, returns, customer experiences and the like...that's what I do for a living.

Now - if you want to hire me to provide you with the names, email addresses and a vast number of links to the situations I am referring to - well, then, I will provide the "incontrovertible proof" you desire.

We really have no need to argue about value and reliability and features. The Market is all knowing and all seeing. If the Chroma and Yuneec are top notch, they will sell to beat the band. It's quite simple.

6. Jimmy Blade Chroma

7. Jimmy Blade Chroma

Condescension is your tone, Mr. Expert. This forum is no different from the dozens I have looked at in the past. And, since DJI drones are heavily advertised all over this website, one can only draw the conclusion that you are bought and paid for by this company. Somehow, doing so makes you nothing less than a shill for DJI.