Best Drone for FPV

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Andrew12, Jun 22, 2015.

1. Andrew12

Andrew12 New Member

I'm new to the hobby (only have a mini drone at the moment) and was turned on to it out of a fascination with FPV. I learned rather quickly however that the actual FPV is hardly comparable to those spectacular videos I watch on youtube. The focus for most drone makers and flyers seems to be all about photography. From what I can tell FPV is not worth much more than an occasional orientation check. It's plagued with the problems of poor quality, lag, interference, and reliance on wifi feeds to little iphone screens. That's hardly what I had in mind.

I looked at a forum dedicated to FPV but these guys were hardcore builders, modders and big spenders. That's all way out of my league. I'm looking to do something with minimal modifications and that won't run me over $1500. I'm thinking of getting either a Phantom 2 or the new Blade Chromium, without a camera and then adding a dedicated FPV cam with its own screen (or perhaps with goggles but I wear glasses so that may not work) Does this sound reasonable? Am I being too simplistic? Any thoughts or suggestions? Or is anyone getting a decent FPV experience from a RTF drone with an included camera?

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

I'd say something like that new Blade might be the ticket - or a TBS Gemini.

Keep in mind that FPV also has it's down sides - you have to stay fairly close in for a lot of the real work due to the analog connections and nature of high freq. radio waves.

A Phantom 2 is only needed if you want to go slower - yet maybe further. But it's stabilized so if you like the idea of racing, etc. then it's not going to satisfy.

Other options would be to buy a leftover Phantom 1 ($300 or so if you look around) or Blade 350qx and put your own FPV on it using either a Mobius or other cam. If you are not going to do any photos or videos you may be best just picking up a analog FPV cam.

Speaking of all of that, I have a FPV setup sitting on the shelf that I was thinking of selling. It what I used for this:
    https://www.droneflyers.com/2014/10/fpv-beginners-quick-diy-quadcopter-project/

I have the TX to go on the quad and the monitor receiver.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HM0L5ZU/

I'd take $100 plus shipping for both. You may decide to get a different tx (and/or improve the antennas)......I didn't tune the system for range.

Let me know by conversation (PM) here or email cissod at gmail - I can take pp for it if you like.