Additional batteries for Syma X1?

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Jeremy Wadhams, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Jeremy Wadhams

Jeremy Wadhams New Member

I got my Syma X1 from Amazon today and I've already gone through two battery charge-and-play cycles. It's everything I hoped it would be, especially that the drone itself is tough as nails (landed in grass upside down uncountable times, on rocks once and in a little red wagon once).

Now I'm kicking myself that I've got just the one stock battery. Looks like there's lots of options on Amazon and eBay (searching for "Syma x1 battery"), but what do actually knowledgeable people buy? I'm interested in stepping up capacity, but I also like that the stock battery fits, snaps, and balances.

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

It depends on how fast you want them and whether you want to connector mounted on them as the stock one has...that is, instead of hanging loose so you plug it in. It would probably take 2 weeks to get these 3:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Syma-X1-UFO-Spaceship-Bumble-Bee-Parts-X1-13-Li-Polymer-Battery-x-3PCS-/121052475792#vi-content

You can pay more for an american shipped one on ebay or Amazon. I wouldn't worry too much about more capacity, because the motors can overheat also. The flights are long enough, IMHO....

Other than that, you can dig around in Hobbyking USA warehouse - something like this:
    http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19116__Turnigy_nano_tech_350mah_1S_65_130C_Lipo_Pack.html

It has to be single cell (1s) and approx 350 mah. Also, you can check the measurements, but you can also use velcro, rubber bands or pack them out with tape, etc. in order to fit.

Some quick ship USA may be available from Massive RC...more powerful like:
    http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/en/104-wl-toys-500-mah-1s-lipo-for-mini-quads-jst.html
    http://www.massiverc.com/PrestaShop/en/88-turnigy-nanotech-600-mah-35-to-70-c-1s-lipo.html

3. Jeremy Wadhams

4. webman

There are two popular types - JST, which is what your Syma has and Walkera - which is the smaller (usually white) one.....

You need the JST.....most of those in the link appear to have the Walkera....

You can actually get adapters, but you must make sure the polarity (red wires) are lined up right! Maybe call them or by with your battery..[​IMG]ytown or

5. Jeremy Wadhams

After more soul-searching than a $10 purchase really deserves, I decided to buy the Syma brand ones on Amazon. Since I'm spending most of my time learning how to control this thing and improving precision, it's better I avoid a big change in balance between the stock snap-in and something velcroed on.

webman likes this.
  6. webman

That's funny! I know about the soul searching myself.....I do it often for $4
    :)

7. Desade

Desade New Member

I've flown my Syma X1 through only about 7-8 battery charge cycles, and I've already broken one of the little plastic clips holding the battery in place on the quad. That battery holder and I don't get along: I've also skinned my thumb knuckle removing the battery, and nearly every time I take it out it goes shooting across the desk.

I may switch to the velcro solution just for the convenience, even with a stock battery.

8. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

I generally run Tiger 600mAh Lipo's with my X1's. I removed the battery cage from the chassis and I attach the batteries with velcro. Prior to attaching the velcro tape to the lipo's I first wrap them in clear wrapping/duct tape to keep the velcro tape from lifting the stickers and original wrapping tape from the lipo batteries. In warm weather I get ~11 minutes of flight time. I definitely let the motors cool after a run time this long.

A word of caution these batteries and a lot of other non-stock batteries do not have overcharge protection circuitry (OCP) so one has to have a charger that does.