3D Robotics Iris - full featured consumer Drone

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by webman, Aug 19, 2013.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

3dr_iris.jpg

A little early yet, but this is a very full featured quadcopter from a respected North American manufacturer - complete with GPS and mission planning software and much more. It seems to me to be the next step up from some of the glorified "toy or hobby" grade copters ready to hit the market from Blade and Walkera.

PR link:
    http://3drobotics.com/2013/08/iris-press-release/

----------------
    • Multiple control options provide redundancy and flexibility: RC, computer, phone, tablet
    • Built-in data radio for real-time mission monitoring, data-logging, and control
    • Powerful cross-platform ground station/mission planning and analysis software that runs on Windows, OS X and Linux, providing simple point-and-click programming and configuration
    • Mobile apps allow intuitive “draw a path” mission-planning
    • Camera options include a live video link with programmable on-screen-display, and will soon support a fully integrated stabilized camera gimbal with autopilot control
    • GoPro® compatible camera mount
    • Available with a 9-channel RC transmitter pre-programmed for the most popular flight modes.
    • Pre-programmed GPS waypoints allow for professional-grade mission capabilities, such as mapping, scripted cinematography, scientific research, and other applications where repeatable flight plans are required
    • Auto takeoff and landing along with Return-To-Launchpoint command at the press of a button or under programmable failsafe conditions
    • Follow Me function for the ultimate “selfies”. In this mode, Iris will follow (at an adjustable distance) any ground station device equipped with a GPS antenna and one of our 3DR telemetry/control radios
    • Geo Fencing provides a virtual box to keep your drone within a user-selectable space
    • Open source flight code, ground station software and electronics are all freely distributed under standard open source licenses. This means that Iris’ capabilities are always improving and expanding with a simple firmware update!

2. webman

3. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

There is already 5 pages of "chatter" at rcg. Very interesting... very interesting... buy American :cool:

4. webman

Or at least Mexican......
    (They have manufacturing in Tijuana as well as San Diego)

5. ActionDrone

ActionDrone New Member

I'm from San Diego and I have visited their office. I have been flying the APM for about a year now. It's got its pro's and cons. I have my APM hooked up to one of my 450 frames to basically go crazy on some flight patterns and also to teach my friends how to fly quads. It's really nice to be able to use your Android phone and have telemetry and make it your ground control. Follow me mode is scary though. I had one time a problem where it would not stop following me. Made me think i was going to die LOL. All in all 3d robotics is up and coming and I love their products. I just don't feel like it's best for quads that want to have steady video since its very sensitive to vibration.

6. IceFyre13th

IceFyre13th Guest

Now that's good to hear, I just got my setup from them for my new build (The Dragons Talon)......might have to get some pointers from you on set up, etc. Naza was fine, just not that great IMHO, it was better than KK 2.0 though

I just got in the APM 2.6, telemetry set, GPS w/ Mag, power monitor.......

Glad to see some more experienced pilots here

7. ActionDrone

ActionDrone New Member

Let me know if you have questions regarding apm I might be able to help. Also the 2.6 I heard was a very good upgrade. I might just purchase another one to try on my AD1.

8. Indiana Drones

Indiana Drones New Member

9. webman

I'm waiting a little longer before reviewing one...I want to give them a chance to get the bugs out. The IRIS regular model seems never to have even gotten to that point - that is, is/was not a true "consumer drone".