Aerial Photograph Western Mass. from the Air

Discussion in 'Aerial Picture and Video Showcase' started by webman, Aug 14, 2013.

1. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

These are from zip code 01073
    Taken with Mobius Cam and v262 quad

soho2.jpg soho1.jpg

2. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

I had to join droneflyers after I saw thumbnails of these pictures. Those "mountains" in the background look very familiar.

webman likes this.
  3. webman

They are looking east and then south from 01073 - so you live far to the right off the lower pic!

4. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

Very very far to the right off that lower picture. Those mountains are very distinctive and picturesque. I used to work in the Northampton, Holyoke, and Springfield areas.

5. webman

University of Mass, Amherst Area
    umass3.jpg umass2.jpg

Attached Files:

6. webman

Another UMass
    umass4.jpg

7. webman

More of Western MA - specifically Easthampton, Echodale Farm (preserved farmland)
    IMAG0060.jpg IMAG0061.jpg IMAG0071.jpg IMAG0036.jpg

8. webman

9. webman

Some Fall Colors
    IMAG0114.jpg IMAG0048.jpg IMAG0058.jpg

10. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

Nice to see that you got airborne today. It was pretty windy at my place today (18+ mph winds at 6') in a sheltered location. You were not that far away and you got some pretty decent pictures of what's left of Autumn colors. I see a little jello effect not like your pre crash/gear strip pictures you have taken. I am pretty amazed at 3 vs 6 gyroscopic/accelerometer corrected flight as evidenced by your pictures. Please do not take this as criticism of your pictures- you've seen my stuff (There is no comparison,).

11. webman

Wind died down a bit near sunset - maybe 8-10 MPH - which is why there is no video, just stills! I had my hands full keeping it within sight once it was 200 feet or so high - the winds picked it up.

You are right about the 6-axis! I am amazed at how easy the thing is to fly.

12. webman

Here is a aerial taken today of Easthampton, MA - as you can see, it's an old mill town with factory buildings having been installed along the waterway (ponds, dams, etc.) - Mt. Tom is the mountain to the right.
    eastho1.JPG

13. webman

This is Smith College in Northampton, MA - with the pond visible as well as the physical plant (tall stack) and other buildings.
    smith1.JPG

14. IceFyre13th

IceFyre13th Guest

I have to retire, then move back to MA.............this desert I live in is just a bunch of dirt and scrub brush

15. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

I used to work nearby where this picture was taken, at the former Northampton State Hospital. Some people say that I worked there a little too long.:confused:

16. webman

I took that pic of Smith from Hospital Hill.
    Here is one of the more familiar grounds where you probably worked...
    hoshill.jpg

17. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

I knew that I knew the location, but the perspective from height confused me more than my usual state of confusion. Nice pictures. It's pretty amazing how much everything has changed since the Hospital's closure.

18. webman

Video from Easthampton, MA
    Lots of jello - v262 and Mobius in 5 MPH wind - video is unedited except for compression.

19. jbrumberg

jbrumberg Member

This location I do recognize. After watching all your videos I realize that I need a different quadcopter than my Syma X1's. They are a blast to fly, but a 6 axis quadcopter is definitely a better flight platform for keychain video cam photography; especially a bigger quadcopter. I finally got motivated enough to try to build my own (6 axis flight control board) quadcopter and ordered the parts for what I think that I need to build what will hopefully be cheaper and of better quality than the current RTF's and ARF's currently available. We'll see how this works out.

webman likes this.
  20. webman

Some stills from Southampton, MA - looking north through the pioneer valley.
    IMAG0108.JPG IMAG0077.JPG IMAG0041.JPG