Need help getting off the ground with my Syma X5C Quadcopter

Discussion in 'Specific Models of Quadcopters and Drones' started by Michael Phillips, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Michael Phillips

Michael Phillips New Member

Just unpacked & assembled my Syma X5C Quadcopter. Having trouble deciphering the poorly written Instruction Manuel and haven't been able to get to do more than flip upside down. Can anyone provide BETTER INSTRUCTIONS on fine tuning it? (And explain difference between (Mode 1 & Mode 2 ?)

2. webman

webman Administrator Staff Member

Hmmm.....it certainly should not flip!
    That's usually an indication of a propeller on wrong...or a complete defect. I had an Syma X11 which did that - it was bad out of the box.

Mode 2 is what you should have in most parts of the world. That's the setup of the Transmitter - if the left stick is the throttle then you are Mode 2.
    It should have been in Mode 2 by default. If not, here is the diagram on how to make it that way.

Make sure you put the quad on a very level surface when powering it up.
    Screen Shot 2015-02-05 at 8.46.27 PM.png

3. Michael Phillips

4. Michael Phillips

Nope propellers are on correctly! I've placed the transmitter in Mode 2, Still can't get the damn thing to lift off. I've been able to adjust it to where it's pretty much level on the ground before increasing the throttle. Then it %^$#ing flips over!

5. webman

Something is wrong. As I said, I had a defective X11 that did that out of the box.
    I think someone had mentioned a fix for it after I sent it back to Amazon....although the next one worked fine.

hmm... maybe Mode 1 is mode 2?

Here is what a guy told me about mine
    "I know exactly what you did (cause I fell for it too at first [​IMG]. Syma's definition of "Mode 2" in the instruction book is actually Mode 1. DO NOT reset mode during startup. Syma's default "Mode 1" (the mode the controller defaults to at startup) is actually standard Mode 2. Again, just turn on the transmitter, and do not attempt to reset mode."

So, try taking the batts out of the TX and then putting them back in and just turning it on and not setting to another mode? Who knows?

I saw another person mention they were having trouble switching modes.....so that's probably the deal.

6. Epic0Tom

Epic0Tom New Member

Sorry for not starting a new thread but I'm a newbie and have no clue how to ;)

I've had a Syma X5C quadcopter for about 3 weeks now and I have managed to break it already :(
    I ordered spare parts off EBay and fixed it, however it broke the following day.
    Now, the bottom right propeller isn't moving as fast when I fly it, so now it cant move off the ground and just flies along the ground, going (when facing you) down and right.
    Is there a way to fix it?
    If any more detail is needed just ask
    Thanks
    Epic0Tom

7. webman

It does sound like another bad motor - those are what usually goes bad in these toy quads.
    Sometimes I suggest that people buy another quad instead of all the parts - and then use the old one for the good parts when the new one starts breaking. That way you have a full supply of parts including the flight control, etc.

This link has some repair info
    http://www.firstquadcopter.com/quadcopter-news/Syma-x5c-repair/

Also, the Syma's aren't as easy to repair as some others because they require soldering - some models (most WL Toys models) have plugs on the motors.

8. SpeedRacerXT

SpeedRacerXT New Member

At some point you'll probably have to replace a motor on any quad that uses a coreless or brushed motor - that is, if it lasts long enough to burn one out. Some like the JJRC H8C are notorious for 'eating' motors while tiny nano quads tend to last until they fail for other reasons (broken frames or just getting worn out). Only way around this is to get a better quality quad with brushless motors. Of course now you are moving up to the next level ;)

9. John Erskin

John Erskin New Member

OP. Did you find a solution? My x5sw is doing the same thing. I have it in Mode 2 (throttle on left side) and even installed new props, but still can't get it to lift off. It just flips over.

10. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Does it spin freely when you flick it/spin with your finger and does it seem the same as the others? Carefully, and I mean with a magnifier, check the gears. It doesn't take much to cause them to bind, a single grain of sand can do it. A tooth brush and canned air are always good to have when flying.

11. Daddy Rabbit

Daddy Rabbit New Member

This could be a number of things as I have a few of these quads and I've seen just about everything.
    (1) Bad motor gear slipping and not keeping up with other motors.
    (2) Bad motor binding or over heating.
    (3) Bad board that doesn't keep quad level in flight.
    To check the board you can hold the quad tilted to one side in your hand and throttle it up some and the motors tilted down on the lower side should rev up more to level the quad to hover flat.

12. Kirk Stephens

Kirk Stephens New Member

Question - X5C1 transmitter not working with X5C drone body
    I have a working X5C1 transmitter and a new X5C drone body. The transmitter syncs with the new X5C body ( actually 2)
    Drone is flashing , syncs yet propellers will not spin up
    New batteries in drones and in transmitter
    I have reset the drones as well - lights flash on reset
    Any ideas ?

thank you
    Kirk

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  13. RGJameson

RGJameson Active Member

Simply put they are not compatible. There are different button features/placement and different FW/software on the quads.

14. Kirk Stephens

Kirk Stephens New Member

thank you